Pellet Lube?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
I've used ''Napier Pellet Lube'' in a Tube for as long as I can remember, But having just had a quick look online I spotted the Canned Spray version.
Does anyone know if it's as good or worth the extra cash for the amount you get in the can?
cheer's

B.L. craft

Jul 30, 2020
Chester, UK
If for a springer I wouldn't bother as it may cause dieseling, I have used the spray with a pre-charged rifle but used very sparingly or it could effect the power putting you over the legal limit. Most pellets being lead are self lubricating anyway.

Just a pointer, when I was a organiser for Hunter Field Target people that over lubed tend to fail the chronograph test and were disqualified from the competition.

Reactions: oldtimer

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I've never really found pellet lubing to offer any tangible improvement in any of my rifles, be they springer or PCP. In my Air Arms s400 it even made the groups larger, whichever brand I tried. (Pellet or lube!)

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
It seemed to bring the groups down with my favourite pellet in my springer. If you follow the instructions it won't diesel. The price of the pump spray seems about the same as the bottle per ml.

Just a pointer, when I was a organiser for Hunter Field Target people that over lubed tend to fail the chronograph test and were disqualified from the competition.

I'm often puzzled by sub 12 ft/lb rifles shooting over the legal limit. The lube does indeed claim an increase in velocity and I was reading about slug pellets the other day and noted a warning about increased power. I was under the impresion if the police tested a rifle they could put whatever they wished through it. So if you're running 11.5 ft/lb with your favourt non-lubed pellet (like many guns) it would seem easy to get it to fire a lubed slug at over the 12.

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
I’m a newbie to air rifles, but I’ve got a PCP now. I did hear that top HFT shooters wash, weigh and lube pellets before use, and that some adjust their rifles down in power a bit to ensure that even ambient temperature changes don’t lead to excessive chrono speeds. That seems like a lot of work, but presumably at the highest levels of competition it is worthwhile. All I’ve done so far is to use the same pellets of the exact same die size (4.52mm), and keep an eye on the reservoir pressure The gun shoots straighter than I do in any case :)

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Personally I tend to test any given rifle using the lightest and heaviest pellet types that I can get hold of, and adjust the power to be nicely under the 12 ft/lb limit. Nothing I've ever shot has seemed to know the difference between 10 and 11 1/2 ft/lb.

juliojordio1983

Forager
Oct 15, 2015
Blackpool
I hope this doesn't sound condescending....

But as someone who has shot air rifles most of their life, I think pellet lube is a waste of time. I go through atleast 2,000 pellets a month at my local range, and although I shoot a premium gun and use JSB exacts, if I do my bit, the gun will put pellet on pellet at 70 yards in good conditions.

If you were shooting at competition level, I guess i can understand it, but not for plinking.

Last edited:
Reactions: MartiniDave

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE