Peed off but praise too

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Bit peed off just now so I thought I'd share the love lol

As some here know I had TB (plus was a heavy smoker) so my lungs are stuffed and I have COPD which leaves me prone to chest infections, long story short I ended up in hospital Friday...couldn't breath. A lot of us with lung problems are issued a 'rescue pack' containing antibiotics and steroids which we start to take as soon as we feel we need to. I felt the need and took the antibiotics and steroids the week before which seemed to work but within 72 hours of the course finishing the infection was back so I (or the wife did) grabbed my 'hospital bag' and off we went to A&E

Hospital bag:

Tesco rucksack, about 30l
Three days worth of underwear, tee shirts, shorts, fleece top.
2X50,000 mAh battery banks
Mains charger and leads
Android tablet and headphones
2x32gb USB sticks full of video/films/music et al
Lots of chocolate and sweeties
£30 in coins to buy any other goodies needed.

Long story short, within no time I'd been seen, xrayed, on a ward, IV antibiotics and fluids and I'm on the mend now at home.

Well done NHS, you are a life saver and I'm proud to have been part of the service :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Sounds like your Missus is on the ball :)
Glad to hear you're on the mend; long may it continue.

I thank every single person who pays, or has paid, their National Insurance. My son is alive because of the NHS, and I am grateful to those who pay for it and the staff who work within it.

M

Feb 21, 2015
Durham
Yes too many people slate the NHS..but in fairness, it beats seven shades out of the USA....there a small thing like that could set you back $14-18,000 no worries!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Get well soon, Richard; for all it's faults I feel fortunate to live in a country which has a healthcare system like ours. I've lived long-term in a good few other countries and have seen nothing to beat the NHS.

All we need now is for the politicos to get real and organise/resource it as it should be.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Yes too many people slate the NHS..but in fairness, it beats seven shades out of the USA....there a small thing like that could set you back $14-18,000 no worries!

When I had TB I costed my 'free' treatment (I'm a retired nurse and the wife is a senior nurse) and the MRI scans, xrays, stay in ITU, meds, stay in a negative pressure room, barrier nursing, medication, Consultant et al came in at more than that.

Sadly people only hear the 'horror' stories of the NHS and we don't hear of the thousands of people the service saves and or keeps alive every day of the week, so I thought I'd put this post of praise up.

NHS bashers please feel free to start your own thread if you want to knock http://www.theguardian.com/society/2014/jun/17/nhs-health as I'm not in the mood to argue.

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Nice to know you're on the mend.
SWMBO on my end asks how many times your other half nagged you to go see the doctor in that 72hours?

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Good to hear you acted quickly and now on the mend back in the batcave.
I've spent most of the last couple of years in various hospitals with my parents and in-laws.I have nothing but praise for the NHS.The staff and the service are second to none in my opinion.
cheers, Simon

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I too have anti biotics at home amongst other meds etc (due to differant issues to yours) i agree once in hospital by and large ive had good treatment and been looked after( have had very bad ones as well) my main issue is your(me) very slow to get the first correct diagnosis (in my case two very rare illness's) and was sometimes not believed at all, ( went private second illness, id been in three hospitals and been given three wrong/ differant diagnosis, my found the correct one which confirmed by private consultant)which led to further complications in both illness's causing long term issues, when treatment was given though excellent, and nurses great.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Nice to know you're on the mend.
SWMBO on my end asks how many times your other half nagged you to go see the doctor in that 72hours?

I'm a retired general nurse, the wife started as an RGN, then RMN/Dip/BN and Masters so she tends to nurse from the neck up and me from the neck down, it was me who said time to move and time to grab the bag lol although I've no doubt she would have put out a call if she felt it needed.

Super nurse, super wife, 36 wonderful years together...this is what life is about.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Sadly people only hear the 'horror' stories of the NHS and we don't hear of the thousands of people the service saves and or keeps alive every day of the week, so I thought I'd put this post of praise up.
Glad to hear your feeling better.

I get that. No one forces people to go to hospital and the staff do no have the predetermined capability and duty to be infalable and find a cure. It's a shame that complains are not about learning for the future, but more about compensation and apportioning of guilt. No one feels good about a bad thing.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

Not really. Just the insurance copayment (about $15 to $25 for the actual treatment and another $100 to $200 for the hospital stay) Unless you don't have insurance (meaning you don't have a full time job) in which case the taxpayer foots the whole bill (Medicaid)

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Not really. Just the insurance copayment (about $15 to $25 for the actual treatment and another $100 to $200 for the hospital stay) Unless you don't have insurance (meaning you don't have a full time job) in which case the taxpayer foots the whole bill (Medicaid)

That good, if you have an out of hospital prescription for drugs you pay 10 quid or 15 dollars an item in the UK!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
That good, if you have an out of hospital prescription for drugs you pay 10 quid or 15 dollars an item in the UK!

Outpatient scripts here also have copayments. The exact amount varies with your insurance. From $10 to $25 per script is common but that copayment usually covers a 90 day supply. My copayment is Free if I use the military pharmacy, $10 otherwise for formulary drugs (a bit more for nonformulary)

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales

Only in England, not the UK.

Prescriptions charges have been abolished for some time in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Glad you're out and on the mend Rik,

Nasty things chest infections and they can scare folk too making it worse.

Like you I won't have a thing said against the NHS. Like you it really has saved my life and put me back in to some semblance of a working order.

Hope you get back to full strength soon and can get the Grandkids out in the summer sunshine.

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Glad to hear you are on the mend. I would love to know how your wife would get my old git to a hospital [retired psychiatric senior charge nurse) without using drop and inject or baseball bat. I am proud we live in country where you dont have to worry about your financial status to access health care. I am glad I dont have to worry about using my inhaler because I dont have to worry about paying for another on.

It is the testament of a society that it looks after its sick and its weak. It is a testament of a government that adheres to this basic morality and looks maintains what was put in place 70 years ago.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE