Peacoats?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Thinking about getting a 'proper' woolen peacoat to replace my battered one which is a sorta ex-fashionable blended one. Found this on the bay,but is it a good deal considering its' not 100% wool? Are there different versions available?

Last edited:

walker

Oct 27, 2006
devon
i have one of these mine was made in the 1950's and is 100 % wool heavy and very very warm with a unpadded linning and has all the white stamp markings and lable on it
i got mine from a shop in holland a while ago while i was there dont think they were on the net
but i love waring it when its cold enough

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Are the 70/30% mixes any good? Whats the 30% ? Won't that affect the insulation when its wet?

Matt, I would LOVE a cruiser but I just can't afford it, I always hunt charity shops for wool shirts and coats tho. Plus I think the peacoat is smart enough to be able to wear to work.

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Matt, I would LOVE a cruiser but I just can't afford it, I always hunt charity shops for wool shirts and coats tho. Plus I think the peacoat is smart enough to be able to wear to work.

I understand. However it might be worth your while doing regular ePray searces for Filson, Woolrich and other such manufacturers. Watch a few and put in a bid for your budget, less shipping and tax -- you might get it and if not no harm done. Food for thought: http://tinyurl.com/2wrl9km

K

kaithy

A high fashion pea coat would definitely make it big in the market if you could get a fashion show diva wear it on a red carpet night.
Modeling

Jun 14, 2011
USA
I'm a big fan of peacoats, and over the last 13 or 14 years I've owned two Schott 740's (link removed) which is a 75% wool/25% Nylon blend (Melton). It's very durable and rugged, completely cuts the wind and is absolutely worth the price. The collar design also makes it unnecessary to wear a scarf. I wore mine through several hard winters and never had an issue with in clement weather affecting the insulation. I don't know if shipping to the UK would make the cost prohibitive for most of the readers on this board, but the 740 is excellent for winter wear.

Last edited by a moderator:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE