PCS Latest Issue Lightweight Thermal Smock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mike8472

Jul 28, 2009
west yorkshire
I bought one a few weeks ago from strikeforce. The sizing is a little on the small side for these tops. The outer layer is fine but the inner suede layer is sewn to make it tight fitting.
I got a 180/100. Im a 40inch chest and it fits fine unless I cross my arms or stretch them out infront of me then the inner suede material pulls tightly across my back.

Its fine for camping or walking but not anywhere near the quality of the commercial equivalent such as montane/buffalo/snugpak.

Its quite lightweight I would say its closest to a snugpak vapour active smock than anything else.

The zips on it are very stiff and take a lot of effort to open and close. I don't know if this is an inherent flaw or just because its new and ive only warn it a hand full of times.

Last edited:

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Tried my lads on when he was home on leave. They seem to be a fleece lining as apposed to a fibre pile. I would liken it to a lightweight buffalo shirt, his was a large size & was a bit loose on me, they are the sort of thing you want to be a close fit.

Rob

ph5172

Forager
Feb 13, 2010
Coventry
These do come up very small.
I usually take a Medium / Large and the Large was snug until i moved and it went tight across my back and chest so i didnt buy it

My advice.... go at least 1 size up

Jackdaw

One of our guys has been issued it for a couple of months as the new kit starts to filter in. He said it was pretty naff. Like most of the new kit like the sleeping bag "it's lightweight civvy crap" seems to be the consensus.

For some reason we are moving away from the slightly heavy but bombproof and are trying to lightweight but without spending the money on good kit. The result? Cold soldiers.

Balloonatic

Tenderfoot
Aug 27, 2013
Hertfordshire
Our guys have them and they are proving pretty popular, they are warm if worn with a decent base layer and micro fleece norgie. I think my problem with them (and the rest of the 'layer system') is that what I tend to look for is a single item you can wear over a t-shirt and base layer that will keep you warm but you can take off when you get more active without having to remove and pack up countless individual layers. The softie excels at this, the new item doesn't.

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
They seem to be very popular with the wives, doing the school run and walking the dogs in this weather.

Obviously I don't mean the officers wives, nothing will replace the Barbour.

Feb 18, 2012
Wales
These do come up very small.
I usually take a Medium / Large and the Large was snug until i moved and it went tight across my back and chest so i didnt buy it

My advice.... go at least 1 size up

Indeed - just been issued one of these. I usually take a 180/104 size, and was issued a 190/110 smock.

I anticipated a tent, but it was quite snug on me. So if you are picking these up surplus, be careful and try on prior to buying.

Having a snugpack softie (well, the Army issue version) and this; I shall be comparing the two with curiosity. Mainly the warmth to weight ratio, in the endless quest for a lighter pack on my back!

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
There mince, i get mine issued but its a pain to use. The lining isn't sewn to the outer well and since it goes all the way down the sleeves it grips like velcro to anything underneath it except a tshirt. Much better with one of the new softies issued (the khaki ones with the slide, not the reversible)

If your getting one go atleast a size up, perhaps 2 if you plan to chuck it on at stops. The sleeves are also short.

Tonyuk

Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
I brought one ages ago. Went one size up. It's perfect. Remember that it is designed as part of a layering system, and one garment won't do the job for all conditions. I have the following brit mil issue clothing which I layer as required:

Base layer - PCS Brown tshirt.
Based thermal layer - PCS thermal field shirt (it's a thin merino wool norgie type top)
Mid lightweight layer - olive green merino wool long sleeved top.
Mid heavier layer - PCS thermal smock.
Mid heavy layer - snugpak softie jacket. (Only used when it's really cold and I'm static!)

Used sensibly and taking into account the weather and how I'm moving, these layers pack down really small and I've not been cold. If I'm feeling the chill, I chuck on a layer, if I feel too warm, I remove a layer. Simples. The PCS army stuff has got it bang on if you ask me, and you use it right.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Apr 12, 2014
middle earth
I brought one ages ago. Went one size up. It's perfect. Remember that it is designed as part of a layering system, and one garment won't do the job for all conditions. I have the following brit mil issue clothing which I layer as required:

Base layer - PCS Brown tshirt.
Base thermal layer - PCS thermal field shirt (it's a thin merino wool norgie type top)
Mid lightweight layer - olive green merino wool long sleeved top.
Mid heavier layer - PCS thermal smock.
Mid heaviest layer - snugpak softie jacket. (Only used when it's really cold and I'm static!)

Used sensibly and taking into account the weather and how I'm moving, these layers pack down really small and I've not been cold. If I'm feeling the chill, I chuck on a layer, if I feel too warm, I remove a layer. Simples. The PCS army stuff has got it bang on if you ask me, and you use it right. A good windproof outer layer goes over whatever I'm wearing in all conditions.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
They were practically giving them away at war and peace last year

one stall had rows of them - somthing to be said for a new bit of mil kit being so readily avalible in the surplus market so soon

I didn't pick one up as it was August and I couldn't be bothered geting hot and sweaty trying one on. Maybe next time assume the price was still good

andywragg

Forager
Jun 9, 2016
Sheffield UK
There mince, i get mine issued but its a pain to use. The lining isn't sewn to the outer well and since it goes all the way down the sleeves it grips like velcro to anything underneath it except a tshirt. Much better with one of the new softies issued (the khaki ones with the slide, not the reversible)

If your getting one go atleast a size up, perhaps 2 if you plan to chuck it on at stops. The sleeves are also short.

Tonyuk

Hi Tony,

Have you compared the old softie jacket against the new PCS jacket, in terms of warmth, fit, compressiblity, ruggedness etc? If so which one would you go for, is it worth the extra? Need to gear up for winter so trying to asses options and gear.

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Hi Tony,

Have you compared the old softie jacket against the new PCS jacket, in terms of warmth, fit, compressiblity, ruggedness etc? If so which one would you go for, is it worth the extra? Need to gear up for winter so trying to asses options and gear.

Both jackets are good on their own, together they are toasty. Neither will be as good as the snugpak sasquatch, the hidden hood is ideal for that lying up period soldiers always have. Beside the hood the map pocket is roomy enough, with a inside collar designed for warmth. The new tan/khaki jacket is better than the green/sand reversible previous issue.

Hope this helps.

i found 190/110 ideal in jacket yet smock was snug.

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
The new softie (PCS version) is nice and a bit better quality in my opinion than the old issue reversible one. Cut is on the smaller size as the hold issue softies were very large, with most needing to go down a size.

Tonyuk

r401caw

Oct 10, 2016
bury st edmunds
I have 2 PCS thermal tops and they have both ripped under the armpit on a seam. They seem to be really tight under there and the thread just not strong enough. It's a shame as they are great in every other aspect.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE