PCP Compressor "Orion 300 Bar" Auto shut-off Findings 2021

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Sj3lzDgl.jpg

Thought I would add my findings so far with the Orion compressor after I decided to get one. Main reason being the possibility of more Covid Omicron restrictions and so not being able to go to my dive shop for refills.

As always Amazon was perfect ordering and "Orion Motor tech" for getting the Unit to me in 3 days by Yodel courier. Packaging was the best iv'e seen to be honest, the box was extremely well made Recyclable and compressor super safe inside polystyrene packers.

Got to unpacking and it looks like some updates have been made compared to some of the units on Youtube.

Following the instructions, I removed the travel bung from the oil tank and added about half a liter of Mannol compressor oil ISO 46 to just above the sight line clearly marked. There is a guide to how many hours the comp should run before changes need to be made. I think i will change the oil after 1 fill of a 5 litre bottle as some mention the run in period requires this and all engines are different. Tip is: keep the manual safe as I couldn't find an Online version.

Next I Replaced the travel bung with the breather bung and fitted up the screw Pressure relief valve and water drain.

The Compressor has a Kettle type 3 pin plug for mains power and next to it a smaller 2 pin for the water pump. This will activate as soon as the compressor is plugged into the mains but you still have an on/off switch on the actual compressor. The Temp gauge was already on so I can assume that the battery will go flat as there is no off option. no big deal.

So I started getting my stuff together to attempt a recharge of my main 5 liter user bottle, which is where I hit my first snag.

The kit supply's a Load of different seals and parts along with the compact air/water filter which has a 1/8 BSP female foster quick coupling fitted. I don't know if my kit was short of the male coupling to match but there wasn't one with the kit, so I had to search round for something to use online. In the mean time I was hoping I could by pass the FQC and use the whip line from dive bottle direct to the filter. This wasn't possible because the whip line had an 60 degree seat cone female and the adapter was flat faced and the thread was not quite the same, so I didn't want to force it. I did go down to my local Pneumatic shop but he didn't have anything on the shelf.

I had already ordered a "Best fittings" kit from JS Ramsbottom direct as they seemed to be the best price and I needed some other bit on that order too.

So currently I have tested that the compressor works, Is as Noisy as expected, have my bucket of water ready for cooling and Now await the arrival of the adapters. I am wondering if i'm going to have the same problem matching 1/8 BSP female cone seat with these as well because the pictures/diagrams are pretty rare. I looked up some adapters to make the whip line work too but unless you know the exact terminology of what you are wanting its difficult to be sure. So I believe it's a 1/8 BSP male inverted cone to 1/8 BSP Male flat face?? Think i'll wait for the kit.

To be continued and pics will be added.

links below:
Orion Compressor

Compressor Oil

Best fittings FQC adpater kit.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Thats a very reasonable price if one weighs up the various alternatives and factors in possible travelling times from what I understand.
Obviously as long as its reliable and possesses longevity.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
closest I have is a zeus book and 3 different thread gauges, don't think or wouldn't know if iv'e got hydraulic amongst them though. :)

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent

Fadcode

Feb 13, 2016
Cornwall
Thats a very reasonable price if one weighs up the various alternatives and factors in possible travelling times from what I understand.
Obviously as long as its reliable and possesses longevity.
You can add 2 year warranty off Amazon for about £16, which isn't that bad, and gives you peace of mind, depends on what use you are going to give it, Amazon are not too bad warranty wise. regarding the Oil best buying it on Ebay 3x 1 litre for £14.99 directly off Mannol, or 20litre for £52 a lot better than £6+ for 1 litre off Amazon, allows you to change the Oil at a reasonable cost.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
You can add 2 year warranty off Amazon for about £16, which isn't that bad, and gives you peace of mind, depends on what use you are going to give it, Amazon are not too bad warranty wise. regarding the Oil best buying it on Ebay 3x 1 litre for £14.99 directly off Mannol, or 20litre for £52 a lot better than £6+ for 1 litre off Amazon, allows you to change the Oil at a reasonable cost.

I didn't know there was a Warranty option - Thanks.

Mundo

Jan 31, 2022
UK
Sj3lzDgl.jpg

Thought I would add my findings so far with the Orion compressor after I decided to get one. Main reason being the possibility of more Covid Omicron restrictions and so not being able to go to my dive shop for refills.

As always Amazon was perfect ordering and "Orion Motor tech" for getting the Unit to me in 3 days by Yodel courier. Packaging was the best iv'e seen to be honest, the box was extremely well made Recyclable and compressor super safe inside polystyrene packers.

Got to unpacking and it looks like some updates have been made compared to some of the units on Youtube.

Following the instructions, I removed the travel bung from the oil tank and added about half a liter of Mannol compressor oil ISO 46 to just above the sight line clearly marked. There is a guide to how many hours the comp should run before changes need to be made. I think i will change the oil after 1 fill of a 5 litre bottle as some mention the run in period requires this and all engines are different. Tip is: keep the manual safe as I couldn't find an Online version.

Next I Replaced the travel bung with the breather bung and fitted up the screw Pressure relief valve and water drain.

The Compressor has a Kettle type 3 pin plug for mains power and next to it a smaller 2 pin for the water pump. This will activate as soon as the compressor is plugged into the mains but you still have an on/off switch on the actual compressor. The Temp gauge was already on so I can assume that the battery will go flat as there is no off option. no big deal.

So I started getting my stuff together to attempt a recharge of my main 5 liter user bottle, which is where I hit my first snag.

The kit supply's a Load of different seals and parts along with the compact air/water filter which has a 1/8 BSP female foster quick coupling fitted. I don't know if my kit was short of the male coupling to match but there wasn't one with the kit, so I had to search round for something to use online. In the mean time I was hoping I could by pass the FQC and use the whip line from dive bottle direct to the filter. This wasn't possible because the whip line had an 60 degree seat cone female and the adapter was flat faced and the thread was not quite the same, so I didn't want to force it. I did go down to my local Pneumatic shop but he didn't have anything on the shelf.

I had already ordered a "Best fittings" kit from JS Ramsbottom direct as they seemed to be the best price and I needed some other bit on that order too.

So currently I have tested that the compressor works, Is as Noisy as expected, have my bucket of water ready for cooling and Now await the arrival of the adapters. I am wondering if i'm going to have the same problem matching 1/8 BSP female cone seat with these as well because the pictures/diagrams are pretty rare. I looked up some adapters to make the whip line work too but unless you know the exact terminology of what you are wanting its difficult to be sure. So I believe it's a 1/8 BSP male inverted cone to 1/8 BSP Male flat face?? Think i'll wait for the kit.

To be continued and pics will be added.

links below:
Orion Compressor

Compressor Oil

Best fittings FQC adpater kit.
Great review.
Hope to get one of them before the end of the year.
Starting to get some bits together before I get the compressor, like an additional air/water filter and some Mannol compressor oil which looks to fit the bill.
Will be using the compressor to top up my pcp bottle and rifle.
I only topped up my bottle 4 times in 5 years, and now that I can no longer go to my local shooting club for top ups I need a compressor, which will probably only get used a couple of times a year.
Wasted expense maybe, but always difficult getting to a local diving club without transport

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE