Paypal security popup

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I have been getting some bother with a secuity popup alledgedly from Paypal which is asking to verify details etc and view certificate.i go onto a few forums and other sites and it only apears when i come onto BCUK.any suggestions please this is really pissing me off now.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
An odd one, thats for sure. Never had a popup from paypal before. As above update your security stuff etc. Check your pc clock is correct too - this can make genuine certificate appear problematic. Does it do this with all browsers, or only one? ie Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome etc?

Cheers,

Arri

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2010
Bucks, UK
How very strange... Can you take a screenshot next time it happens?

I've never seen any popup from PayPal, so it does smell a bit phishy.

Togger

Dec 16, 2007
Derbyshire
If you go onto Paypals website (DON'T USE THE LINK) you will find a list of spam pop ups, emails etc that they are aware of (at least the last time I looked you could).

Paypal say that unless an email etc is addressed to you by name, ie the account holders registered name, then ignore it as it will be spam.

Hope that helps.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
An odd one, thats for sure. Never had a popup from paypal before. As above update your security stuff etc. Check your pc clock is correct too - this can make genuine certificate appear problematic. Does it do this with all browsers, or only one? ie Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome etc?

Cheers,

Hi , i checked and the pc clock was out a mile,so i reset it and the popup went away so to speak.i put on the pc today came onto BCUK and it was back,tryed to buy something off ebay for the kids and it was there too not allowing me to goahead with the purchase.checked the clock again and it was out a mile again.can i do something to prevent this?I am not very clever with pc,s ,i know how to swith them on,go on forums,go on ebay and switch them off.:rolleyes:

Arri

Tenderfoot
Jan 10, 2010
Bucks, UK
Oh boy! Not to be a fear-monger but this doesn't sound good.

I would consider a rebuild of the operating system (if you know someone who can do it for you please ask them, PC shops will charge you a small fortune probably).

Do you have any antivirus software installed?

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Hi , i checked and the pc clock was out a mile,so i reset it and the popup went away so to speak.i put on the pc today came onto BCUK and it was back,tryed to buy something off ebay for the kids and it was there too not allowing me to goahead with the purchase.checked the clock again and it was out a mile again.can i do something to prevent this?I am not very clever with pc,s ,i know how to swith them on,go on forums,go on ebay and switch them off.:rolleyes:

Hia Gill, sounds like the BIOS battery on the motherboard might be giving up the ghost. Had your PC long? If it is, it means every time you shut the PC down, the battery loses it's charge very quickly, meaning the next time you boot up, things have got out of whack. Of course, it might not be that. Only way to be sure would be get a new battery and swap em out, but if it's not that then thats an expense thats not needed - not a huge expense of course. If ya like I could pop round at some point over the weekend and have a nosey at it? May not be able to spot anything, then again I might? It's up to you mate.. :D

Cheers,

Bush Matt

Tenderfoot
Jul 29, 2009
New Forest
Do you have a favourite link which goes to www.bushcraftuk.com If so the sight is being redirected to www.bushcraftuk.com/forum and the redirect could trigger a security alert depending on your antivirus/antipopup options.

Try copy and paste the below into a browser, if it doesn't work then it is likely a virus or one of the hardware problems allready mentioned.

Matt.

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/

Last edited:

tjwuk

Nomad
Apr 4, 2009
Cornwall
Two things you should always remember when dealing with security pop ups, emails, phone calls! etc. asking for your details.

1: If you didn't intitiate it and type in the address yourself. Don't trust it.

2: If you didn't intitiate it and type in the address yourself. Don't trust it!

Also if you hover the mouse pointer over the links in a suspect email, look down in the status bar and it will show you the address it will be going to. Usually somewhere completly different from Paypal.

eg htp://ww.krapstore.com/dieifyouclickthis/paypal/virus?

Thats just made up link so don't click it.

Usually sites that use security do not ask for details in an email.

If you have clicked a link you are not sure about, log in sooner rather than later and change your password login. This hopefully will stop anyone using your details and changing it for you.

Stay safe.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
If your time keeps losing it's most likely the CMOS battery as stated (Flat and about the size of a 10p on your motherboard). As for the popups Download the free version of Malware Bytes and scan your PC. Also make sure your antivirus is up to date.

Malware bytes here:

http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebyt...4572.html?part=dl-10804572&subj=dl&tag=button

Also here are links to some good free antivirus programs:

Avira:

http://download.cnet.com/Avira-Anti...l-10322935&subj=dl&tag=button&cdlPid=11012914

AVG:

http://free.avg.com/gb-en/homepage

Avast:

http://www.avast.com/en-gb/free-antivirus-download

Hope this helps

Jan 10, 2010
Glasgow
We have two problems here

1. If ANYONE asks you to confirm your secure details (username, password, bank details etc) it is a problem (and probably spam)

2. If ANYONE asks you to confirm your secure details (username, password, bank details etc) it is a problem (and probably spam)

I know that this is technically one problem but it is such an important problem that I thought it was worth stating it twice :D

NEVER, and I mean NEVER. respond to emails asking to confirm secuurity details like passwords, pin numbers etc. they are ALWAYS spam!!!

Banks and online payment companieis will NEVER ask for this information.

Be safe online - Never give your bank details to ANY site that doesn't start with "https" (secure site)

Peace.....

Last edited:

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
My problem was both the clock was set wrong (easily done when one checks the time/date by clicking the time in the bottom right corner) and also my system battery was flat.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE