paua shell inlays

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
J

jubilant

Hi guys, i have had a search on a few forums but cant find any answers and im hopefull that someone here can help, I wish to inlay some paua shell into my knife handles but im not sure how to best do this...anybody done it before or maybe knows where i can find out?

thanks for your time and assistance

martin

zackerty

Nomad
Dec 16, 2004
Christchurch...New Zealand
Please, oh pretty please wear a good respirator, as the dust is BAD for your lungs, so grind wet if possible?

Make sure that the "inside" surface is flat and clean...Glue with any good epoxy. Sand smooth till it matches the surround...it can be buffed to a mirror polish, but cool often, as heat browns it...

seamonkey

Forager
Sep 11, 2004
Scotland - Angus
I've seen this nicely down in NZ, looks very nice on a traditional folder.
Sorry can't be of any more help than that but if you have trouble getting hold of any let me know i'll be back in NZ in a month or 2

cheers

G

I ordered a piece off Chris , hasn't arrived yet , as for inlaying it , its just a case of cutting out your shape in the handle and cutting a piece to fit in the hole , make two paper templates , one for the handle and one to make your piece of shell ,
make the shell slightly larger , then its just a matter of testing it , file a bit off with a needle file test again until it fits ,,, the rule here is test it in the hole often you cant make it bigger again :)
Also follow the safety tips mentioned above

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE