Patterns for inuit or saami clothes?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
Abbe Osram said:
A lot people up here use the sami mukkluk type boot, made out of reindeer skins is the sami cloth I see most of the time. I havent seen them using fur parkas like
Here is a picture from the Jockmock market:
He is wearing a traditional sami belt

jokmok.jpg

cheers
Abbe

I like the gear,especially the hat.
Unfortunately it would not be acceptable to wear in the UK unless it was only worn in the woods.It is too obvious that it comes from an animal :rolleyes: and we have lost touch with the natural ways.Meat comes wrapped in cling film and some children actually don't know it comes from a dead animal! Scary but true.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
torjusg said:
From what I read in "Nunamuit" by Helge Ingstad, the inuits use one inner parka with the hair in and one outer with the hair out in winter. In summertime they used only the inner parka.

Torjus Gaaren

Ahh, thats intersting I would like to know the weight of the doubble parka.
Must be quite heavy. Do you know something about the weight mate?
cheers
Abbe

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
BorderReiver said:
I like the gear,especially the hat.
Unfortunately it would not be acceptable to wear in the UK unless it was only worn in the woods.It is too obvious that it comes from an animal :rolleyes: and we have lost touch with the natural ways.Meat comes wrapped in cling film and some children actually don't know it comes from a dead animal! Scary but true.

I agree mate, thats one reason I move up here so I have a chance to move my life around and get to the roots. Its by all means not easy but here I am at least not attacked if I like or wear fur. ;-))

cheers
Abbe

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
It was supposed to be very light Ingstad says. He mentions a weight, but I don't own the book myself so I can't check. It is a very good book and I can strongly recommend it. The prime skins used for the men were shot (preferrably calves) in september and was much lighter than the heavy winter fur used by the women and children.

Torjus Gaaren

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
torjusg said:
It was supposed to be very light Ingstad says. He mentions a weight, but I don't own the book myself so I can't check. It is a very good book and I can strongly recommend it. The prime skins used for the men were shot (preferrably calves) in september and was much lighter than the heavy winter fur used by the women and children.

Torjus Gaaren

That was good info for me mate, thanks!
cheers
Abbe

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
innocent bystander said:
Abbe, did you ever make your fox fur hat ?

Mate, I am ashamed to say that the fox pelt still is hanging in the shead.
I am collecting projects and dont get them done :(
Now I got a moose hide in the freezer which is smiling to get made into buckskin.
Oh man, you are right...... I should get going with it ....how long has it been ....
a year...... :eek: :eek: :eek:

cheers
Abbe

Feb 13, 2006
suffolk
this thread is just what i was looking for- i have just been given 3 cured reindeer skins.( a shed clearout- friends dad bought them 30 years or so ago) they are still in good nick. They vary in size, there is a small soft one, a less soft but bigger one, and a big and fairly coarse one. I was given them on condition that I make them into somthing good-

what d' you reckon i could make from 3 skins? I really want to make a parka, mukluks and a hat but dont know if i would have enough.

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
Sounds like you may have skins (or be one short) enough for a hoodless parka, but if it is adult reindeer skins it is likely to become heavy. I haven't made anything that big yet, but having dealt with plenty of elk hides before, I know that for footgear you would want the leg skins as they are very though.

Maybe scraping the hairs off and making something in braintan would be better and more suitable for the British climate? Or, if you bark tan them and get perhaps two more you could make a very varm winter sleeping bag. :cool:

Anyway, there are probably lots of people on this board that knows more than me about this.

Feb 13, 2006
suffolk
that guys coat looks like heavily fulled wool- theat is basically felted woven wool- i dont know how they do it now but in times gone by, some poor sod had to tread the cloth around in a big bucket of stale urine.. nice! there is a meadow near us called fullers meadow- i guess their trade was too stinky even by middle ages standards and was confined to out of town areas.

I think a parka would be fun to make.. i also have loads of old fur coats( mink, rabbit and possibly beaver) could i incorporate bits of them into the design somehow like as a hood lining. I hope to be able to go up north and do some winter bushcraft at some point so i could use it then.. could be a while though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE