Pattern 58 Webbing - Kidney Pouch - Help!

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
Ok, you have my full permission to laugh. :eek:

I un-did my kidney pouches, and stored them away. I have now thought of a use for them, as the bigger pouch to my alices, so I can carry my new cooker(In development), and mess tins for a start.

I cannot for the life of me remember how the fixings on the back work. I am seriously thinking of modding them anyway, but do not want to ruin them in the process.

The only guide I could find online was written, and basically said fix them once, and then never touch them again. I touched them years ago, and cannot remember how they work.

A couple of quick questions, for the knowledgeable: -

1. Am I going to lose anything by spliting them apart?

2. What do either of the spare oblong rings do?

Thanks in advance for any help, especially involving pictures, or drawings.

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
whats the problem? the tabs go over the belt onto the oblong rings then the tails thread through those to lock them in place. the small tail is meant to lock onto the back straps.

I cant post pics as it been 20 years since I last touched a set of original 58 but hey you never forget :) I changed mine for a home made butt pack out of a karrimor baby rucksack and some velcro then they spoiled it by giving us 90 pattern which was inflexible by comparison and took a lot of getting used to.

at a push I can pop by and say hello next time I'm up your neck of the woods.

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Will dig mine out and try to post some photos, The back of the pouch should have two vertical metal "C" shaped things. On the belt there should be lots of little pockets, you thread the ends of the metal bits into the pockets you need to almost fold the belt to get the last ones in. On the belt the metal rings face down (there for the bum roll). With out looking at mine cant be 100% but the pouches should have some metal slots for the back yoke straps to thread through...

Hope that made scene... :rolleyes:

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
whats the problem? the tabs go over the belt onto the oblong rings then the tails thread through those to lock them in place. the small tail is meant to lock onto the back straps.

That is what I thought but think it is slightly more complecated than that. Or they have bits that make no sense, which would not surprise me.

I cant post pics as it been 20 years since I last touched a set of original 58 but hey you never forget :) I changed mine for a home made butt pack out of a karrimor baby rucksack and some velcro then they spoiled it by giving us 90 pattern which was inflexible by comparison and took a lot of getting used to.

That was a trick I learnt after them, to repeatedly use something so it sticks in the head. I did not use them for a living, so maybe put them togeather three times about 10 years ago. The first time was with the help of two soliders as well.

at a push I can pop by and say hello next time I'm up your neck of the woods.

Thanks for the offer! Really appricated.

Will dig mine out and try to post some photos, The back of the pouch should have two vertical metal "C" shaped things. On the belt there should be lots of little pockets, you thread the ends of the metal bits into the pockets you need to almost fold the belt to get the last ones in. On the belt the metal rings face down (there for the bum roll). With out looking at mine cant be 100% but the pouches should have some metal slots for the back yoke straps to thread through...

Hope that made scene... :rolleyes:

It is a nightmare to try and work out. I get what you are saying but am still not sure.

2937168660104361412S600x600Q85.jpg

As you can see in the above -

A - Goes to the other A over belt.
B - Goes to the other B over belt.
C - Locks A, and B in place, have it in my head that it goes all the way over, and doubles back, then lots of black sticky. Considering adding velcro between F, and B to lock this in place.
D - Somehow the strap makes it to the D rings, and helps hold the pouch to the shoulder harness.
E - No idea
F - No idea

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
okay - normally the back straps on the yoke go over the two accessory points on the belt which is a tight fit but possible failing that near as possible. so you can scrunch the pouches up to give more room on the belt for more pouches

lay the belt over the pouches so the yoke straps go through the d points.

straps a and b go over the belt to a and b rings.

strap point c then threads through b, f and a then folds back over a and through f which locks it in position

with the yoke straps between the d rings strap d goes through both rings the folds back to lock into the outer d ring.

point e can be used with utility straps to anchor to similar points on the ammo pouch to tighten the belt rig to the wearers hips and stop it flapping about. the tightning also aids securing the belt fastening on the kidney pouch.

its all very clever really as it allowed for a quick detach down to skelly order for the ranges but most kept it together as we'd stitched or zip tied it all together.

hope that covers it :)

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
pre molle troops used to zip tie their webbing together, we started similar or often used a reamer and bootlace to stitch the pouches to the belt as the clips could work loose. you cram the pouches as far around the hips as possible so you can lay on your front and that when packed you could almost wrap it around your waist and it would hold there without the buckles or yoke in use. seatbelt webbing and a fastex is probably the best mod to the belt.

also made hippo pads out of ammo box foam or the bottom of a roll mat :)

its not worth padding the yoke though as it interferes with bergan straps. and its messy but you can use wax dressing to weatherproof them a bit.

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
if you ever find the 'c' strap keeps on coming out of a,f and b.
you can put the 'c' strap into the 'a' first a then the f and b instead of the over way round (b,f,a).this stops the 'c' strap accidently being pulled out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE