Pathfinder Phase 1 Certification Course

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
Here is a discription of the course:-
[h=2]Product Description[/h] Pathfinder Phase I Certification Course-DVD
The Pathfinder Phase I Certification Course is the meat and potatoes of the Pathfinder System. This DVD course allows you to obtain certification and complete it on your time; there is no time limit to complete the course.The course contains 10 blocks of Pathfinder System training. Each block has 3 exercises and deliverables which are sent for evaluation to the Pathfinder School for final certification. There are no hands on classes required to complete this Phase I course so it can be done from anywhere in the world and tailors itself to your environment.
This course is will get you started on owning your self-reliant skills. To become a Pathfinder Youth Organization Leader, Pathfinder Phase I Certification is required.
**If you have additional household family members wishing to take this course, you can share the DVD's and pay an additional $50 for each certification. Additional Rite In The Rain All-Weather Field Journals may be purchased but are not necessary. Only 1 Rite-in-Rain journal will be included with family packages.
Course Includes:

• 3 different Pathfinder Phase I DVDs
  • 1 CD with worksheets, in PDF file format that you will complete and turn in.
  • 1 Rite-In-Rain Field Journal
  • 1 Pathfinder Survival Basics DVD
  • 1 Pathfinder 10C’s of Survivability DVD
  • Instructions on where to send the deliverables for evaluation.
Topics covered in this course:
Block 1 - Personal Space
Finding your personal space; setting up camp; and making camp comforts such as tools for food prep and eating.
Block 2 – Practical Exercise and Research
Research the three killers: hypothermia, shock, dehydration; poisonous plants; animals and insects. Researching and practicing methods of fire making, water purification and signaling.
Block 3 – The Rules of “3”
Learn the rules of three, (three minutes without air, three hours with exposure to the three killers, three days without water, and three weeks without food). You will learn other Rules of 3 such as the three ways of securing food; the warning of plants with three leaves; the three animal postures (moods); the triangle of fire; and three types of direction.
Block 4 – The Big Four Wild Edibles
Learn the Big 4 Wild Edibles (Pine, Acorn, Cattail, Grasses) and on gathering and processing them.
Block 5 – The 5 Priorities and First Aid
Learn the 5 basic needs for comfort in the wild; fire, shelter, water, food, and first aid.
Block 6 – Senses
Learn how to use your six senses as they apply in the wild.
Block 7 – Seven Types of Sign
Learn the seven signs of game: Disturbance, tracks, scat, hair, remains, scent and odor.
Block 8 – Common Wild Edibles and Medicinal Plants
Research common wild edible and medicinal plants in your area and how to use them to make decoctions and infusions.
Block 9 – Edible Meat Sources
Research and log common amphibians/reptiles, birds, and small game in your area and how to secure game.
Block 10 – Kit
Learn what to carry (10 C’s), what the priorities are, and about primitive equipment and shelter.

Just wanted to know if anyone else has given it a go. I like Daves You Tube stuff, so thought I would give it a punt.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Not used it myself i prefer the self taught / learn from others approach but if it floats your boat mate go for it. I dont imagine the certification is worth much but if you learn something and its fun then whats not to like

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
Well yes as it only outlines the Blocks, its up to the individual to go out and research wild edables and animals etc in your own location. It basically gives you points and you do the research and then submitt deliverables i.e. photocopy of journal to prove you have gone out and done the tasks.

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
The Big four wild Edibles?:lmao:
You would die of starvation looking for a pine tree down here..........Ahh Pesto.
For twenty quid I'll send you a bushcraft certificate.

rg598

Native
I am personally very much opposed to any certification programs when it comes to bushcraft or wilderness skills. I think it is just a way for a few people to impose their limited views and make money from the process.

If we leave that aside however, and treat it just as an educational tool, the answer of whether it is worth it for you will depend on how much you buy into Dave's method. If you watch his stuff and you think he is spot-on, and you want to be like him, then I'm sure you would like learning from him. I personally disagree with what he says quite often, so his approach to the woods is not for me.

That being said, the information above seems very basic. You can find all of it online for free in about 10 minutes. If you like Dave, and you want to support him, or be more like him, then you can spend the $70. If you just want the information, you can find just about all of it here with the "search" function.

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
Doesn't look like anything you couldn't learn from a book

If I was after a distance learning course I'd rather spend my time on the BCUSA forum bushclass

but in reality its better to learn live

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Don't they do something similar on BCUSA? I seem to remember John Fenna was doing the course. Maybe you could look into that, not registered over there myself but it was free iirc.

But hey if you want to do the Pathfinder course why not? I'm sure it would be a great learning experience. Most folk spend £50 on a night out dare say this would be more rewarding :).

zornt

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
Ohio, USA
The BCUSA calsses are free. You can do it at your own pace. The instructors give detailed instructions for each lesson, then you submit photos or vids of your lesson. They then tell you if you passed it. Very easy and friendly.
I have DC's book and a 2 cd of his. I am not really impressed with him any more since I found BCUSA. They do it for fun, he does it for profit.
To me free is better.
Thanks
Jon

rickyamos

Settler
Feb 6, 2010
Peterborough
Thanks for your views guys, the BCUSA sounds good, I remember Wittler Kev doing this course. As above I don't agree with everything Dave Says and does on the pathfinder course, but thought I'd give it a go. Many thanks again for your views

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE