Pat 58 Osprey Water Bottle Carrier

Is there any water bottle carriers made up for the Pat 58 water bottle?

Currently I have a DPM pouch that attaches to your belt but I am looking for something that has a long strap that you can just put over your shoulder instead. The covering should also rest on the shoulder of the bottle leaving the lid free to open without taking it out of a pouch.

Any suggestions?

My pouch is actully pretty similar to that, I will have a look tonight to see if there are any parts at the side for a strap to go on. But I dont recall any brass D rings on there.

Would there be anything similar to the picture below out there for the bottle?
2802730663364040_21.jpg

Checked the pouch I have and there are two bits either side that stick out but they are half way down the pouch and in my mind wouldn be able to balance it right, I can imagine it doing back flips.

So I gues sthere is nothing like I posted in the previous picture for this bottle.

I wonder then if it would be beneficial to make my own out of leather instead then.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I've got what I think was originally for a folding spade that fits said bottle.

I had it on the belt of a sac.

no pics I don't think.

A leather one sounds better though.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I have a belgian army waterbottle & carrier/ pouch & it looks a lot like yours. It has a couple of alice clips at the back & I made a long shoulder stap from 1" (2.5 cm) webbing which thread through the clips & a ladder lock for adjustment so I can wear it long or short. I can of course drink from it without taking it out of the pouch.... Being alice clips, they open; so I can remove the strap when I attach the water bottle & pouch to my rucksack.
It works very well,......

Last edited:

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've got a water bottle with a leather carrying harness. I'll take some pix of it to give you an idea if you'd like.
It has shoulder strap rings mounted on it too. The thing is the canteen's black plastic so when it gets very sunny the water gets warmed, so I now carry it in an insulated French army cammo canteen cover much like you pictured above, does the job too.

Let me dig out my camera and I'll take some snaps of it. I'll have to upload 'em tomorrow bit busy doing my website update drawing right now... or should be. Having some "Me"time browsing my favourite forum.

Biker

Here ya go hope these pix help.

Basically the canteen came with the leather bondage harness around it and the little stainless steel cup as the lid cover. I also had a spare stainless steel mug with folding handles and married the two together, (they're very happy, almost made for each other). You can see where I cut away the lower leather strap as I couldn't get the mug into the "basket".

Now the whole thing nests in a cammo pouch with the strap clips outside. It's a bit of a flim flam getting the lid off to drink, what with the cup on it and all but I'll give it some thought to change that.

I also found a roll of 50mm wide aluminum foil tape that I used when insulating my loft. I might wrap the entire black canteen in that to insulate it a bit against heat transferance or direct sunlight hitting it if I'm not using the cammo case. Might work.

Canteen01.jpg

Canteen02.jpg

Canteen03.jpg

Canteen04.jpg

Canteen05.jpg

Canteen06.jpg

Canteen07.jpg

Canteen08.jpg

shortymcsteve

Forager
Jan 8, 2011
Hamilton, Scotland
You can find one on the ray mears website here but its £35!!!! Its unfortunate ive never seen them anywhere else a little cheaper. Does not have the over the shoulder option like your looking for.. tho i can imagine it would be easy to do yourself.

getimg.cfm

Last edited:
Thanks Biker. That will be my other option for how to make the pouch/harness :). I have 2 ideas at the moment on designs for leather. I dont have rivets so it will likely all be sewn.

Only prob is I have ran out of D-rings. May have to order from Tandy as they will be under the limit for mail order with leprevo.

I was speaking with g4ghb and he mentioned the goat leather that I had would be good enough if I formed it into a cup. However I am not sure how much it will stretch and if the stitching will hold up with it. The other leather I have is 3mm veg tan which is going to be a bit fiddly to work with if forming a cup for it to sit in.

The harness looks very simple to make though.

Thanks for the link shortymcsteve but £35 is a bit expensive, considering I got my webtex pouch for £10 and it fits my two cups for the bottle, tea kit and spoon/fork/knife in it. But its just a bit on the heavy side to dangle of the belt.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
That is a pretty serious set up you have there Biker, Can't believe you only carry water in it,.... that little metal cup is a dead give away...just right for a wee dram !............

Biker

That is a pretty serious set up you have there Biker, Can't believe you only carry water in it,.... that little metal cup is a dead give away...just right for a wee dram !............

Thin end of the wedge that'd be. I wander into the bush sipping as I go and then won't be able to find my way back out again. End up tree hugging or something even more embarrassing. LOL!

I don't drink tea so I take cordial along with me in a seperate bottle to mix in the cup and add the water. I would put blackcurrent mix directly into the canteen but that might not be good for it in the long run, can't get much of a long term problem just having water inside it.

Yeah it's a serious set up, most bought as is too. I just love bootfairs over here. I bought a brand new canteen just last Sunday same stainless steel mug but the canteen's in Olive green, it's so new it was still in it's plastic issue sack. I'll be putting that up for sale soon I suspect. No leather harness or small wee dram cup though.

Biker

No water restrictions thus far, but we're on a water meter anyway so we limit ourselves.
Got talking to a local farmer yesterday who actually said he was frightened, (that was his actual word) for his animals, seems they're already feeding them straw and hay because the grass isn't growing. Not sure about the water restrictions applying the them or not.. yet Most wells have dried up, at least the ones on tops of hills, we've got a stream that flows in the valley we're just up the hill from and that's still flowing nicely, but obvioulsy a lot lower than usual. So we're not geting pinched too badly here right now. Can't remember the last time it rained.

Typing all that has made rather thirsty. TTFN

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE