passing time at night..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
K

KneeOh

sounds more supreme than using the powder! will give it a try tomorrow! water and hot choc mixes just dont cut it!

K

KneeOh

so what beverage did you end up going for? feeling sleepy yet?

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I'm on my second pint of cider, nothing fancy but it's alright. It chills me out and stops the restless feeling so that's good even if I don't get much sleep.

do you have a drink atm?

K

KneeOh

only cider i actually enjoy is an ice cold magners, spesh on a hot day.
not much of a drinker myself.
my juice atm is some orange fanta haha
gonna retreat to bed shortly, maybe find something decent on youtube to watch.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
If its stress that's keeping you awake, write down all the unfinished jobs in a notepad. You brain will then be content it doesn't have to remember them.

Once in bed breathe in slowly whilst tensing every muscle in your body. Hold this breath and keep tense for ten second. Breath out slowly gradually relaxing all muscles. Repeat if needed.

tomongoose

Nomad
Oct 11, 2010
Plymouth
I had a patch of not sleeping and I found going fro a run in the evening or doing some weights a couple of hours before I went to bed sorted me out

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
I used to have the exact same problem when i was out of work, and found that when my brain wasnt being pushed i was awake all night. I now spend the evening learning new stuff and i mean completely random stuff lol

This week i have been mostly reading ......................................about blacksmithing

Dave

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I was more or less an insomniac for 50 years. Then one day a friend refused a cup of tea that I offered to her, saying that she wouldn't be able to sleep if she drank tea (or anything containing caffeine) after about 4pm.

That set me thinking about my own sleep problems. So I stopped drinking tea after about 4pm. Now I sleep much more easily, and only really have trouble when I've been thinking hard about something stressful or work-related. It's made a huge difference to me. My productivity has plummeted. :(

calibanzwei

Settler
Jan 7, 2009
Warrington, UK
Audio books; I have a vast library of Lovecraft, Pratchett, old BBC radio programs - with headphones on the lowest volume level. Lulled to sleep with intelligent conversation :D
PM me and I'll send you a disk.

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Had a four year stint of my rhythm being out of whack after being on a 3days-3nights-3off shift pattern for the preceding five years, though mine was not being able to wake up, no probs getting to sleep, but come the morning nothing but the angry Yorkshireman in the room next to mine could wake me, it just sort of sorted it's self out, that's to say i have no idea what it was that changed, now I tend to wake up at the crack of sparrows. not really any help though. used to go on lots of night time walks when switching from nights to days though, that seemed to pass the time, from Eastleigh to Southampton and back, and the odd spot of carp fishing at the ponds outside Eastleigh too.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I've always been a night person then 6 months of three in the morning tablets last year has got me into a bad routine I am having trouble shaking off, wide awake at 03:00 :( Problem is that I'm ready for a siesta comes mid afternoon. I was watching 'The Last Trapper' at four this morning.

bmartin1uk

Forager
May 4, 2010
Baldock, Herts
lie in bed, watch a film which i have seen soo many times, that i can just listen to it and picture it all in my head, so i dont have to actually watch it and can face away from the telly, normally works.

Thats what i do - even after a mentally tiring day at work and a physically demanding time at the gym, i still sometimes find it hard to sleep.

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I don't drink coffee or tea but at times when I feel so exhausted and need to be awake I'll drink a energy drink but it makes me feel rough and shakey later on as caffeine and me don't mix.

I've tried writing my to-do list down and all the things I want answers for in a note book so I can do them in the morning but it doesn't help much.

Also in the early hours of the morning my body feels exhausted but my mind won't slow down and turn off, it's the same when I've been really busy or had little to do.

last night I went to bed at around 5am and didn't sleep till later but the cider did help alot but managed a few hours sleep.

off to sort out some busniess and paper work now! :eek:

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Here are a few tips that I've found helpful in the past:

• Regular exercise, but don't exercise near bedtime as your body releases all sorts of chemicals that will keep you awake.
  • Don't lie in bed awake as it will condition your brain all wrong. Keep the bed and preferably the bedroom as a sleeping area only. Only be in there when you are going to sleep - your brain will associate that room with sleep and nothing else.
  • Don't go on the computer/watch tv within 30mins (preferably an hour) of going to bed as the screens replicate daylight which may interfere with your body clock and definitely don't have a television in your bedroom.
  • Try reading something relaxing before bed and maybe try some herbal oils in your room.

What most people don't realise is that it's much more important and easier to wake up at the same time every day than it is to go to bed at the same time every day; this is because energy levels fluctuate during the day dependant on loads of things like what you've had to eat, what you've done during the day etc. and some days you may need less sleep than others and it allows you to make that decision at night when it is the only time you can really make a proper decision about such things. You may do it naturally as your body gets used to getting up at the same time anyway but try to get up at the same time even on weekends; it may seem like a waste of a good lie-in but keeping a regular body clock is very important and it will give you more time in the day to do things - the morning is a beautiful time to be up and around and there are loads of things you can do in the morning that will give you a completely different experience than any other time of day like morning strolls or bushcrafting.

Hope this helps and I hope you find some peace soon :)

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i used to suffer with insomnia wind headaches etc turned out to be lactose intolerance before i found out i was having a glass of milk to try to get me to sleep lol funny now but wasnt back then

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE