Parsnip Seed now available (fresh this week)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Following the interest in parsnip seed in previous years, I have prepared a fresh batch this year. Parsnip, unlike many of the seeds I save, does not last well - its viability drops off after year 1 and after year 2 it is really disappointing, so I prepare and thresh parsnip seed every other year if not every year.

To produce our own parsnip seed we hold over selected heritage (true breeding) parsnips into their second year - and letting them raise their impressive flower spikes (now known as the "triffid parsnip" - thanks sandbender!)

8 foot parsnip by British Red, on Flickr

They have to be staked and the odd pest removed until they are pollinated and the seed is fully set.

Parsnip Seed Plant by British Red, on Flickr

The mature heads are then air dried inverted in the barn

Parsnip seeds drying by British Red, on Flickr

Finally we thresh them -

Parsnip Seed by British Red, on Flickr

Given these are a heritage variety (Tender & True), by growing them, its perfectly possible for you to do the same - and never buy parsnip seed again :)

However, the one thing with parsnip seed is it only keeps for a year or two, so you have to keep the cycle going. This being so, we have more than we need from this batch.

The seed is packaged in packs of at least 200 and come with full planting instructions - and even a little history :)

Parsnip Seed by British Red, on Flickr

How much do we charge? Well, its a packet of seeds. It would be great if you would like to make a donation to cover postage and packing and effort - I'll provide my PayPal address - but if you are skint, please, don't feel obliged - its enough that other people get a chance to grow their own.

That said, if I get enough this year from the different seeds and tubers, I want to add two new apple tree varieties with good keeping qualities - we are cropping on the trees we first planted now - but I am comping to realise that we not lots more for self reliance :)

If you want some, please make a post on this thread and PM me your full name and address.

Red

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
...and replied too.

I got laid up this week as my wife brought a charming little bug home from the hospital she's working in, so I haven't sent any out yet. I will get them all done next week :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Righto - I've got a load packaged up and instructions printed and attached, so if anyone would like some, shoot me a PM with your name and address - I'll try to do a post office run tomorrow :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have packaged another batch of seed up following Tommy the Cat's pictures of his monster parsnip :)

If you would like some, please drop me a PM :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm planting my first sowing of parsnips tomorrow - but they are good till April if you are a bit behind :) Time to be thinking though. Last year I achieved 148 pounds of parsnips from a hundred square foot bed which pleased me no end - a better yield than spuds!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE