Parsnip Seed Available

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ooh yes please Hugh let me know what ya want costs etc..... no rush be next year now obviously... I presume they will self set?
d

Shoot me a PM with your address Dave - I doubt I still have it. I'll pack some up for you. Just scatter into any worked soil (you can do it now) and they should come up next year. They can live for fifty years in the soil but only germinate when the soil is disturbed which is why "Flanders" poppies bloomed in the Great War - all the shelling disturbed the soil and they all flowered in one year.

If you let the pods dry on the flower the wind blows them and scatters the seeds very effectively.

I dry them in bunches and as they dry the rosette opens. If you dry them upside down over a container, the seeds fall free into the container when ripe

Hanging poppies by British Red, on Flickr

Poppy heads shedding seed by British Red, on Flickr

Poppy seed in bucket by British Red, on Flickr

Labelled Poppy seed by British Red, on Flickr

Its a long drawn out process - but interesting

You can pot grow them and plant out when ready if you prefer - don't worry about the pots freezing - the seeds like the cold.

Red

tommy the cat

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 6, 2007
SHROPSHIRE UK
Brill thanks a million... will pm you details etc shortly....
Dya fancy anything Hugh?
I'm looking at organic seeds for next year at the moment ... Can I get you anything?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm good right now Dave - unless you find some pignut seed. It has to be subject to stratification (freezing) to germinate properly so needs Autumnal planting. People say it can't be farmed or grown commercially, but I fancy trying to pot grow some as they are a lovely delicacy.

It is out there - I just need to get my butt in gear :)

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I harvested some poppy seed this year too, hoping to grow some at our new place. Any parsnip seed left, I'd like some please!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Yep - last one goes to spandit - let me have an address spandit and I'll get a packet in the post to you

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Glad they are filtering through - would love to see any pictures of where they end up :)

Who was it that described growing your own as "the quiet revolution" ?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks for the update guys

I have packed up and addressed Shewies and Dave's seeds but not made it to the post box as its manic here sorry :(. Will get them in the box over the weekend.

Halfway through Oliver's and Marco's "selection boxes" of oddments - I'll try and get to the post office next week to post them off but it may be Wednesday before I can (given they are shut on Bank Holiday Monday).

Right....back to pressure canning coconut chilli sauce :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We "feel the seasons" here Marco ( frantically preserving for the coming winter at this time of year) - sorry about that :(.

That said, we were over at a buddies tonight for tea (Beer "n" burgers). Best (most prolific) wild game hunter I know. Eight for dinner, all fed on the best burgers I have had in years. Quite impressive for a sixty year old woman with an air rifle :) Her pigeon and garlic chive burgers with home grown caramelised onions means MacDonalds can......take their trade elsewhere :)

I love living here!

Marco1981

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 18, 2011
Orkney
We "feel the seasons" here Marco ( frantically preserving for the coming winter at this time of year) - sorry about that :(.

I am still stuck with weed control and pest control. Got weeds that seem to grow a foot a day and caterpillars which I am sure are like worms - cut them in half and both half's live! I am cutting over 250 of the things every day, which is a massive decline from a month ago, so I think that I am winning. When I am not doing those, I am trying to sort the conservatory out, mow the acre of lawns with a walk behind mower, repair loose slates, fix cracks in rendering on three buildings, develop a new large bed ready for next season, build large netted beds for my cabbages/broccoli/cauli next season, erect a polytunnel.... List just goes on and on! But you are right. In the words of Ned Stark from Game Of Thrones, winter is coming! And up here, it is coming sooner than I can be ready. Fun trying though!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE