parking car on Scottish roads

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
I am planning a trip to Scotland, just by myself for a week, I've decided on the location etc, but one of the final things I am wondering about is where to park my car when I get there. I've been on Google maps and all the roads where I plan to go are single track roads with fences and ditches either side. There are passing places but these should not be parked in.

If I do find a place to pull off the road in a fairly remote place, do you think there is risk of people breaking into the car if left for several days? Maybe some of you have done similar trips and can offer some advice?

There doesn't seem to be any pubs, hotels or anything of the like in the area so this parking option does not exist. There are a few houses dotted about though...

Thanks for any advice given!

Cheers

Jon

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
I always try to leave my car at a campsite and offer the owners a few quid a day to keep an eye on it.
I have left my car in a car-park for the weekend on Loch Awe as far as I remember and it was fine.

I would worry about the car if left in some country lane. Not that my car is worth awt at all but the hassle of replacing windows or the whole car is a pain in the butt.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Hi Jon

In the last 15 years I've been walking & climbing in the Highlands I've never heard of or experienced a single break-in. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but IMO it's very unlikely. As with everything it's probably worth showing any would be thief that your car is empty and don't leave anything of value in it particularly if you intend to visit somewhere more popular.

As for parking there's usually enough space to pull over on a verge and not impede traffic. This is normal practice particularly if it's near the start of a Munro etc.

My only concern would be if someone lets the Police know about your 'abandoned' car, this might sound daft but Mountain Rescue Callout's have been generated by such actions. It might be worth leaving a contact phone number on display and making sure your family know of your intended plans.

Please also consider that this is the main Deer stalking season (until November) and some areas have limited access / shooting parties on them. Depending on where you are going it maybe worth asking permission like south of the border. Have a good trip where ever you end up.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE