parchment/greaseproof paper?

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Greaseproof paper goes soggy. Baking parchment is better, but if you can get to the £ stores they sell siliconised oven liner sheets, and those are truly excellent to use.

cheers,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don't know; I've never used it.
I suspect it's tinfoil with a nonstick silicon liner on one side ?

Sorry Tom, not being much help :eek:

atb,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
This is the kind of stuff that I buy in poundland or home bargains.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LARGE-FAT...0572136776?pt=UK_Bakeware&hash=item5d43f5bd48

It's brilliant for inside camping pots too :approve: You can even fry an egg on it and it won't stick either to the liner or to the pot. Line a billy with it and it'll make baking bannock a breeze too.
It's washable and wipes dry and can be used for a very long time indeed.

M

Last edited:

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
ill not bother with that lined stuff, as i figure just using foil would probably do. i cant get into i poundland before friday when im going away but i may be able to get to a home bargains type place and see what they have. thanks for your help, i just didnt know what to try instead of greaseproof

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I think it might depend on just how wet your stuff is before you start the drying, tbh. If it's jerky, then the greaseproof would probably do fine, same for slices of fruits. If it's mince or chilli though ....:dunno: might just be too soggy, iimmc.

You do know that you can start off the drying on a plate ? The one from inside the microwave is pretty good :)
If the food is very wet it might be worth drying it off a fair bit and then having a go on the greaseproof paper.
The plate will block a lot of the airflow, and that will slow things down, that's why folks recommend using the silicon sheet stuff instead.

cheers,
M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I can't think of any reason other than food's inclined to stick to it, and it's inclined to develop hot spots.

You could maybe carefully cover the foil in clingfilm though, and the foil would support the clingfilm and the clingfilm would stop the food sticking to the foil ? Roll the edges to hold the two together ?

Probably a bit of a footer though.

M

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
yeah, i know what you mean, i can see chilli sticking to the foil quite badly, then the foil tearing and getting in my food. will do my best to find some of those silicon sheets i think. i was really hoping to use something from tesco delivery as im really busy and have everything else coming on monday evening

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The plate idea works; it just takes time, but there's no wee bits of foil in the food and there's no drippy mess all over things because it has that narrow shallow rim all around.

Lidl's had the thicker black silicon oven liner sheets in last week here; there's more expensive than the £store brown stuff, but it does work, and it lasts forever. Don't know if that's of any help though.

I've just googled Tesco and the liners and they have the black one for £9.99 which it totally ridiculous, but :D :D they have the brown ones for £1.29 :)

http://www.tesco.com/groceries/Product/Details/?id=265613946

Sorted ?

atb,
M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I've not tried the Teflon stuff - but given its microwave and oven safe and coated in non stick, I can't see how it won't work :)

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
so i picked up my shopping from tesco today, made a massive batch of chilli, 4 portions of which are dehydrating at the moment. the sheets seem ok, definately water tight and i think should work very well for this purpose. i guess ill find out in the morning. ill add some pictures in a moment

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE