Parang

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bribri

Forager
Mar 18, 2014
manchester
Anybody used this? And what do you think? :)
9uhy4ydu.jpg

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

bribri

Forager
Mar 18, 2014
manchester
Yea i was thinkin that' i like the flat top so you can baton wood with it. Not to much curve. I would av more use for it than my axe' :) tempting :)

Amon81

Nomad
Mar 9, 2009
Birmingham
I've not used that one but do own the village parang. If its anything like it, BUY IT!. For years I wanted a meaty parang, I saw it in a Equip 2 Endure video on youtube and went straight online and got one.

Its a beast! Around 750g. It needed a good sharpen (as do all condors by the looks of it and the 2 I own off them), but it chops, splits, batons and hammers (using the side of the blade to hammer wooden tent pegs in the ground). You name it, it can to it.

http://www.heinnie.com/condor-village-parang

The only downside is the sheath is er, functional. But for the price I really cant moan (all the money goes to Condors blades, which I really don't mind at all). Plus it'll also be nice to make a sheath for it out of some nice 3mm leather to match my knife's sheath. Of course it's just a matter of getting the time, over a couple of Sunday afternoons I think.

I did sand the handle down to the wood as it had a coating of some kind, bit like varnish, but came off with 600 grit sandpaper. Then a good coat of linseed oil was applied. Now much better.

I kind of like a tool that isn't perfect out the box (unless paying big money for it). It means you can put you mark on it and fine tune it to what you want.

The video I saw was https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXIAAEq0tnI Nice to see a review by a guy who has given it a beating.

Last edited:

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
I've got the Lochnessmuk and it's a beast of a thing needs a good sharpen well made though and lovely leather sheath, hardly used at all.

Sent from the smoke clouds of a poorly lit fire...
7any3eru.jpg

bribri

Forager
Mar 18, 2014
manchester
I've not used that one but do own the village parang. If its anything like it, BUY IT!. For years I wanted a meaty parang, I saw it in a Equip 2 Endure video on youtube and went straight online and got one.

Its a beast! Around 750g. It needed a good sharpen (as do all condors by the looks of it and the 2 I own off them), but it chops, splits, batons and hammers (using the side of the blade to hammer wooden tent pegs in the ground). You name it, it can to it.

http://www.heinnie.com/condor-village-parang

The only downside is the sheath is er, functional. But for the price I really cant moan (all the money goes to Condors blades, which I really don't mind at all). Plus it'll also be nice to make a sheath for it out of some nice 3mm leather to match my knife's sheath. Of course it's just a matter of getting the time, over a couple of Sunday afternoons I think.

I did sand the handle down to the wood as it had a coating of some kind, bit like varnish, but came off with 600 grit sandpaper. Then a good coat of linseed oil was applied. Now much better.

I kind of like a tool that isn't perfect out the box (unless paying big money for it). It means you can put you mark on it and fine tune it to what you want.

The video I saw was https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXIAAEq0tnI Nice to see a review by a guy who has given it a beating.

Yea i understand wot u mean about puttin ur mark n twist on things that need abit ov work doin to them. Feels nice' like bringing it back from the dead lol u know wot i mean lol so i will prob get a few old ones to fix up :) but im still gonna get the condor parang too' just looks rite' looks like it will feel rite in the hand' i do like my small forest axe but i only really ever use it wen i go up to keilder cos its full ov dead standing pine' :)

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
not sure atm, i like the shape of the one on it just not the colour, will remove it at some point and see what i can make to go on it. or i may dip the current one in a liquid rubber if i can get hold of some

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
i took it out a couple of times and found it very useful tbh. ill only ever take my axe with me when building a shelter as the parang, mora and saw will do everything you really need in camp

bribri

Forager
Mar 18, 2014
manchester
Rubbers not the best look in the world' but safer grip i surpose' and wen ur swinging sumthin that sharp around' safe is best lol

bribri

Forager
Mar 18, 2014
manchester
Got sum brill stuff from work' its a rubber tube' and u slide it over things then wen u heat it' it shrinks and grips' was gonna use it on a knife handle' but its grey and would look horrid on a woodlore style knife' maybe on a parang it would look ok :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE