Parang Handle and Interlocking Grain (pic heavy).

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
I have a problem with a Parang handle that is spliting. The pic with the green lines illustrate where the cracks run on the end grain from the tang mortise to the edge:

handle_01.jpg

Pics with more details:

handle_02.jpg

handle_03.jpg

handle_04.jpg

I’ve been given a roughed-out block of what looks like the same type of wood to make a replacement handle. The thing is, I’m concerned that the replacement piece will fail in a simliar way.

The roughed-out block and original handle:

block_01.jpg

This shows at least three bands of interlocked growth rings, two bands running away and one running toward the viewer (off-centre to the right in the pic with the torn fibres):

block_02.jpg

The small cracks indicated by the green arrows are at the boundary of the bands of interlocking grain that are running in opposite directions:

block_03.jpg

So, I have three basic questions to ask:
  • Is wood with interlocking grain suitable to take the kind of stresses applied to it by a large blade with a partial tang that’s intended for heavy-ish chopping?
  • If the answer to the above is ‘no’, would reinforcement of the end grain with an epoxied disk bolster be likely to add sufficient extra strength to prevent the tang from breaking through the bottom of the handle (as it wants to with the original handle?
  • Should I use a straight grained wood for the handle, such as a European ash wood, and forget about using the interlocked specimen?
All opinions and advice would be of interest.

Best regards,
Paul.

perpetualelevator

Tenderfoot
Jul 5, 2007
Toronto, Canada
I don't know about the strength of the wood, but it does seem like the interlocking grain should resist splitting much better. That's why we don't like to split elm for firewood.

I think the best way to add strength at the joint would be with a reinforcing band like a ferrule, or a strip of fiberglass epoxied around the handle, rather than an epoxied disk. If you wanted this to look a bit more traditional, you could probably use a wrap of cord or rawhide that will shrink around the wood when it dries.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
I'm a lazy slackard, so I would epoxy the wood back together and do a nice wire wrap for about an inch to help reinforce the original handle.

Yep, its taken about a year to design it, have it made, and transported to the UK. and a replacement handle sent. I'm at the stage where I'm trying not to cry. A 'quick and dirty' fix might have to do, I'm rapidly running out of steam on this one :D

... but it does seem like the interlocking grain should resist splitting much better. That's why we don't like to split elm for firewood....

That's what I'd read :)

...I think the best way to add strength at the joint would be with a reinforcing band like a ferrule, or a strip of fiberglass epoxied around the handle, rather than an epoxied disk. If you wanted this to look a bit more traditional, you could probably use a wrap of cord or rawhide that will shrink around the wood when it dries.

It should have some sort of binding around the front end of the handle, I think it got left off due to a misunderstanding. I just thought a disk bolster would be easiest, not traditional, but I don't mind a bit of 'the best of both worlds', East meets West, kind of thing.

Cheers guys,
Paul.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Might be an idea to do a disc bolster and a wrap - the wrap should prevent it splitting (a bit of epoxy in the cracks to help waterproof to prevent rotting...) and the Bolster should take a bit of the strain so it's not all going on the wood handle.

That being said, at this point I'd probably make the new handle and then add the wrap and bolster to that...

jojo

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 16, 2006
England's most easterly point
Interlocking grain should be the most resistant to stress. The annual rings in some woods tend to grow in opposite direction each year and produce a wood which can be a real PITA to work. It does not really make them any stronger, just more difficult to work! The wood section on the handle seems to be fairly thin and because of the stresses imposed on it by a (I assume) fairly big blade will make most woods crack in the same place. You could wrap either some strong thread or brass wire or hand sew some rawhide around the handle. You could get some rawhide from a pet shop, one of these rawhide bone, well soaked and tightly sewed around the handle should prevent more splitting.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Looking at the grain, I think it is a similar type of wood to the handle on the the top parang in this photo which as you can see has a thin rattan plait, like a turks head, around it. A different stain of course.

Parangs1.jpg

Not used much on the trail, this parang has been doing considerable axe-type work chopping down trees, including palm trees, and splitting wood for fire since about 2003 with no sign of failure yet, touch wood.

Don't know nothing about interlocking grains etc.but a bolster is a good idea if you do not want to spend time making a new handle further down the road :D

My guess is that these designs do not have additional reinforcements as they assume that the skills to fashion a new handle are widespread in the community.

You are doing well by keeping these skills alive;)

Shing

Nomad
Jan 23, 2004
Derbyshire
A thick steel or brass ferrule is the best to prevent splitting. The ferrule should be a tight fit to compress the wood. If you can't get a ferrule, you can try some wet sinew wrapped tightly and left to dry.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
What sort of wud is your blank? Some split more easier than othe's do, it depends what purpose as to get the best species for the job in hand. EG as has been said elm doesnt like to split which is why they always used it for hub's on cart wheel's, they wouldnt break up with all the mortice's in them for the spoke's. Chestnut on the other hand just loves to split, it splits itself almost, so its real nice to use if you want lots of thin rail's quickly. Wild/burr grain to my mind is sometimes a bit more durable than nice neat straight grain wood, but as Jojo said is tricky to work; but nothing that cant be sorted with sharp knife's, files, rasp's, scraper's etc. That piece you have in the picture's could well be OK it just need's care to get a decent finish with the wild grain showing up. A ferrule seems the likelist solution to reinforce the joint of blade to handle, its traditional because its proven to work (eg on mortice chisle's, bill hook's) and its easy to fit up. I'd be looking for a clean section of branch 4 to 5 inch diameter with a natural knee bend in it; split it in half, get the pithy centres out, then hew and refine your handle form from the best half plus you have a spare in case you mes up. The knee bend is a natural form of lamination, they used them in ship's and timber frame buildings for there strength as corner braces. If you carved your form from straight stock, the swell end will have short grain which is also a weak point where it may well snap under real stress. I'd go for ash, or elm (you can often get small section elm, surprisingly) or also possibly hawthorn. You can get steel tube for ferrul'es from any steel stock holder, they will generally cut it for you nice and square on there band saw. Make sure your handle is well bone dry before you fit the ferrule on or else it will loosen if the wood was wet and shrinked more.
Hope this help's, cheers Jonathan :)

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
If you want a quick and dirty fix supaglue is great. Squirt it into the cracks then clamp it in a vice to keep the cracks tight as the glue goes off. Then bind it up tight with strong linen thread like the ones in BODs pictures, squirt the thread with supaglue too if you like. I would expect a handle with a fix like that to take many years hard use and it would take 10 minutes to do.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Might be an idea to do a disc bolster and a wrap - the wrap should prevent it splitting (a bit of epoxy in the cracks to help waterproof to prevent rotting...) and the Bolster should take a bit of the strain so it's not all going on the wood handle...

Being a 'belt and braces' type that appeals to me.

...That being said, at this point I'd probably make the new handle and then add the wrap and bolster to that...

This appeals to me also :)

Interlocking grain should be the most resistant to stress. The annual rings in some woods tend to grow in opposite direction each year and produce a wood which can be a real PITA to work...

As I understand it, it depends on what kind of stress the wood is put under, In some circumstances it seems stronger, and under others, weaker.

The growth rings can reverse direction each year, or every few years, depending on the the species or the genetics of an individual tree. It seems like a complex subject, and gets more complex the further one delves into it. Plant biology is not my strong point (not that I have a strong point :D).

...It does not really make them any stronger, just more difficult to work!...

I think if you are a wood turner the 'fluffy' grain that results from some types of interlocked grain can be troublesome when it comes to a silky finish to the wood.

...The wood section on the handle seems to be fairly thin and because of the stresses imposed on it by a (I assume) fairly big blade will make most woods crack in the same place. You could wrap either some strong thread or brass wire or hand sew some rawhide around the handle. You could get some rawhide from a pet shop, one of these rawhide bone, well soaked and tightly sewed around the handle should prevent more splitting.

Yep, the lower edge of the tang mortise is very close to the edge of the handle, I dare say many types of wood would have split under the stresses of heavy chopping, without reinforcement, such as the rattan on BOD's large Parang.

Looking at the grain, I think it is a similar type of wood to the handle on [my] parang which...has a thin rattan plait, like a turks head, around it.

Not used much on the trail, this parang has been doing considerable axe-type work chopping down trees, including palm trees, and splitting wood for fire since about 2003 with no sign of failure yet, touch wood...

Interesting, BOD, thank you.

...Don't know nothing about interlocking grains etc.but a bolster is a good idea if you do not want to spend time making a new handle further down the road :D...

I could well be going with a bolster, and this illustrates the basics of interlocked grain on a tree trunk, though it does get a bit more complicated with woods that are from pollarded, burl/burr, or root woods:

intelocked_woodgrain.jpg

...My guess is that these designs do not have additional reinforcements as they assume that the skills to fashion a new handle are widespread in the community...

I'm trying to do my bit to spread those skill further afield :)

...You are doing well by keeping these skills alive;)...

That's excellent news, BOD, thank you :D

A thick steel or brass ferrule is the best to prevent splitting. The ferrule should be a tight fit to compress the wood. If you can't get a ferrule, you can try some wet sinew wrapped tightly and left to dry.

A ferrule was one of my first thoughts, but the non-circular cross-section of the handle has made me reconsider:

chandong_handle_x-section.jpg

What sort of wud is your blank?...

That's what I've been tryng to find out - http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28214

...Some split more easier than othe's do, it depends what purpose as to get the best species for the job in hand. EG as has been said elm doesnt like to split which is why they always used it for hub's on cart wheel's, they wouldnt break up with all the mortice's in them for the spoke's. Chestnut on the other hand just loves to split, it splits itself almost, so its real nice to use if you want lots of thin rail's quickly. Wild/burr grain to my mind is sometimes a bit more durable than nice neat straight grain wood, but as Jojo said is tricky to work; but nothing that cant be sorted with sharp knife's, files, rasp's, scraper's etc. That piece you have in the picture's could well be OK it just need's care to get a decent finish with the wild grain showing up. A ferrule seems the likelist solution to reinforce the joint of blade to handle, its traditional because its proven to work (eg on mortice chisle's, bill hook's) and its easy to fit up. I'd be looking for a clean section of branch 4 to 5 inch diameter with a natural knee bend in it; split it in half, get the pithy centres out, then hew and refine your handle form from the best half plus you have a spare in case you mes up. The knee bend is a natural form of lamination, they used them in ship's and timber frame buildings for there strength as corner braces. If you carved your form from straight stock, the swell end will have short grain which is also a weak point where it may well snap under real stress. I'd go for ash, or elm (you can often get small section elm, surprisingly) or also possibly hawthorn. You can get steel tube for ferrul'es from any steel stock holder, they will generally cut it for you nice and square on there band saw. Make sure your handle is well bone dry before you fit the ferrule on or else it will loosen if the wood was wet and shrinked more.
Hope this help's, cheers Jonathan :)

Excellent stuff, Jonathan, much to think about, thank you!

If you want a quick and dirty fix supaglue is great. Squirt it into the cracks then clamp it in a vice to keep the cracks tight as the glue goes off. Then bind it up tight with strong linen thread like the ones in BODs pictures, squirt the thread with supaglue too if you like. I would expect a handle with a fix like that to take many years hard use and it would take 10 minutes to do.

'Quick and dirty' is my thing, but I'm trying to mend my ways, Robin :lmao: Seriously, I'm into skills and wood in an ever increasing way. I mean, this is a wood chip thrown by an axe earlier in the day. Who could not be beguiled by this material (an example of interlocked grain at the junction of tree branches):

chip.jpg

Thanks to all for your interest, very much obliged to you,
Paul.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE