Parallel Firelay Advice Needed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Try different fire lays, experiment, see what works for you. And if you really want to learn just how small a fire you can get away with, go camping with an Aussie...

J
You called?

I was lucky enough to spend most of my bushwalking days back when fires were allowed. However, as a country lad who had grown up fighting bushfires, I was also damn careful!

I think it is the prevalence of dry wood that allows for very small fires. If your wood is bone try, you can cook a whole meal on a couple of foot-long sticks. Friends who spent a lot of time in Africa say that the locals usually build 3 stick fires.

When the wood is damp, you need a bigger fire to keep drying out wood.

You want to stay warm from fire? Get a kelly kettle, a hot water bottle and a sleeping bag.

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
. And if you really want to learn just how small a fire you can get away with, go camping with an Aussie...
J

I suspect that is me. I have been called odd before but not a bogan :)
As Q said we usually have a small hot cooking fire that doubles as bush tv. we get a good bed of embers that you can cook in.
To keep a large fire going (imo) you spend ages processing wood,and if you have a regular site,going further and further away to source it, and have a large fire scar to clean up.
Q and I were the last of the Kent group to leave the camp site a few months ago and the fire had been going for 3 days. We had to dig down and water quite a way to make sure the ground was cool. Good old Kent clay,quite successful as a brick making exercise tho.
Imo a fire 1m x 1.5m or larger is a bonfire. and attracts far to much attention to your camp site.
We have a washing machine drum fire at paddling meets and have about 20 people round it.

I like small fires. But then I too have seen a few bush fires in my time.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE