Paraffin Lanterns?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

webbie

Forager
Jan 1, 1970
scotland
i have just found a old paraffin latern in my garage and i was wondering if anyone had a pdf or similar of one so i can make sure all the bits that i need are there and it is safe to use

also when using this type of lantern what is the best type of wick to use?

cheers

webbie

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
i have just found a old paraffin latern in my garage and i was wondering if anyone had a pdf or similar of one so i can make sure all the bits that i need are there and it is safe to use

also when using this type of lantern what is the best type of wick to use?

cheers

webbie

Webbie, a picture would help? If you need a wick its maybe a hurricane lamp of some kind, you can measure the width at the slot in the burner and buy off eBay

This guy sells them all the time (no connection etc) look at the different sizes and match your needs
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/PARAFFIN-OIL-...VQQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1638Q2em118Q2el1247

If it has a pump its a pressure lantern and I would need a picture mate to help you

webbie

Forager
Jan 1, 1970
scotland
here are some pics as requested

S1030442.jpg

S1030443.jpg

S1030440.jpg

so anything to look for in this type of lantern so i can be sure if it works safely?

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Id like to know too.

Im sorting out my collection. some damaged in some way, so I want to make a few decent ones from the many I have accumilated.

JohnC

Jun 28, 2005
Edinburgh
It all looks intact, I'd check for leaks in the fuel tank, sometimes seams leak... Its worth havng a look inside the tank as I've often found the remains of a piece of the last used bit of wick thats been wound down inside the tank. Failing that measure the slot (I used a small slab of blutac to get an inpression then measured that).

This blog has a wee bit on lamps similar to yours http://www.nelms.org.uk/?cat=3

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
John C has it covered really, measure up your wick, rinse the tank out with some clean fuel and away you go. These lanterns will leak if carried full of fuel, so keep them upright.

If you pull on the loop at the top of the lamp, a section moves up and allows you to push the globe back. This will let you clean the globe and gives easy access to the wick holder.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE