Paracord ?

David.s

Forager
Jan 27, 2007
Glasgow
www.myspace.com_evil_scrappy
Hi guys, I'm looking to buy a good few meters of paracord for my tarp etc.

I had a search through some old posts but can't seen the answer im looking for.

What is the proper ( at least very decent ) cord I should be buying ?

I'v seen 550 Paracord, BCB paracord, 6 strand, 7 strand, 6 core, 4mm diameter, 6mm diameter..and the stuff i have just now is about 8mm and it's too thick.

so what should i be looking for ? and links would be even better.

Thanks

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
Have a look on at www.raymears.com in the sleeping out section. For £10 you can get 4 x 4 meters of guy line rope, and 1 x 7 meter ridge line. Someone on here recommended them to me years ago and I'm still very happy with them. Try this link: http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/316-Hootchie-Guy-Lines/

If you are are after paracord I would definitley recommend this ebay seller. I have used them time and time again and never been disappointed. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/jplb2473/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_from=&_ipg=&_trksid=p4340

No connection to either site etc etc

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I've bought a fair amount from here:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/P-TRRS-OLIVE-DRAB-550-Reflective-Paracord-Cord-Rope-/110498115865?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_SportingGoods_HikingEquipment_RL&hash=item19ba337119

It's genuine stuff and I honestly think you'd struggle to find it much cheaper unless you bought in bulk.
Most of the cord I have bought has been in bright hi vis colours, ( all of it; high grade reflective) for replacement guylines etc.

I bought a 10ft length of relfective olive drab too, to see what it was like and I'd say it was ideal for bushcrafting, where you might wish to retain subdued, earth colours but still have the benefit, of what is very high reflection, when you shine a light on the cord.

Very good service from this seller too:)

atb

R.B.

hatethatgiraffe

Forager
Jan 9, 2010
Glasgow
Both the eBay sellers have websites as mentioned in earlier post :)
The bushcraft store don't do the reflective stuff though :(
The reflective stuff is really good and I use it on the paracord keyrings I sell!
As mentioned it's great when a light is shone on it so really useful to help in finding dropped keys or on knives as a lanyard to find that dropped custom lol

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
I found some stuff in the '99p stores' on the high street. 99 pence for 20 meters of olive paracord, 4mm thick i think. I bought it on a whim, but after having an initial play, it seems no worse quality (or stretchier) than any other cord i've had over the years. Absolutely fine for tarps at least i would have thought.

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
In terms of value for money, the paracord from Ray Mears (non-reflective) seems best on price, coming in at a fraction under 10p per foot, with free postage (£9.95 for 30m/100ft as three 10m lengths). If you do want more than this, then place two or more separate orders in order to avoid postage charges. Postage for orders up to £10 is free, and steadily ramps up as the value of the order increases.

Geoff

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
In terms of value for money, the paracord from Ray Mears (non-reflective) seems best on price, coming in at a fraction under 10p per foot, with free postage (£9.95 for 30m/100ft as three 10m lengths). If you do want more than this, then place two or more separate orders in order to avoid postage charges. Postage for orders up to £10 is free, and steadily ramps up as the value of the order increases.

Some good intel there on the postage! I almost fell out of my seat when i heard Ray Mears had come in cheapest for once! I usually go down the route of browsing about his site for ideas, then looking elsewhere to actually buy....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE