Paracord Monkey's Fist Keychain

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
I just used my hands although I can see that making some sort of tabletop tying rig would greatly ease things.

The trick I found was to not do the final four turns until I had inserted my core weight. A lot of guides suggest basically making a loose but complete monkeys fist and then forcing your core into it. I found it hard to get it centred doing that.

Essexman

Forager
Jul 26, 2010
Essex
Here's a simple jig I knocked up to help make MF.

WP_000544_zpsa43ca28c.jpg

I found it helps when making big MF as it keeps the cord neat and tidy.....

DSCF4799.jpg

Small ones I tend to still tie in my hand,

DSCF5029_zps40bbd30b.jpg

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
That's pretty neat. Don't want to sound like I'm trying to be nasty or put anything down. General question here. What is the purpose of the monkey fist?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Essexman

Forager
Jul 26, 2010
Essex
In history the Monkey fist was tied to the end of heaving lines aboard ships by sailors. A stone or scrap lead would be used inside making it very heavy. This helped get the lines to the dock side. The dockers would then cut them off as they didn't like having projectiles thrown at them! It has been said that people have been killed on the dock side by monkey fists, and they are banned on ships these days.

Today they are just a decorative knot.

Jonbodthethird

Settler
Sep 5, 2013
Kettering/Stilton
In history the Monkey fist was tied to the end of heaving lines aboard ships by sailors. A stone or scrap lead would be used inside making it very heavy. This helped get the lines to the dock side. The dockers would then cut them off as they didn't like having projectiles thrown at them! It has been said that people have been killed on the dock side by monkey fists, and they are banned on ships these days.

Today they are just a decorative knot.

Interesting, had a funny feeling it had a old purpose, I thought it might of been used as a weapon or something?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Essexman

Forager
Jul 26, 2010
Essex
You often see them sold as a "self defence weapon" in places like the US. Not that I think they would be much use like that, and of coarse you couldn't use one like that here in the UK as it would be against the law. The large one above was made for a business owner who had a problem with his shop keys being lost by the staff. Big old MF stopped the staff putting the keys in their pockets, problem solved.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE