Para Silk/Zoot Suits/Parachutes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
Has anyone here ever used a zoot suit, made out of parachute material? Supposed to be used by the forces or so advertisers claim. What different things have folks made out of surplus or "acquired" parachutes?
Monk

leon-1

I have used para silk zoot suits and had one made out of pertex whilst in the forces, they are very good, I had a lot of time for mine.

I have seen hammocks made out of parasilk, very very lightweight, I was always a bit wary of them. :)

Monk

Forager
Jun 20, 2004
outandabout
leon-1,
what did you use the pertx zoot suit for, as sleeping gear? If it gets wet, does it dry out fast? Do you sweat a lot if you are wearing it while moving?
Monk

leon-1

I had it made when I was in Cyprus, when it was new I found it a little clingy when you sweated, but that is normal for anything pertex and as it got older the less clingy it seemed.

I never used it as sleeping gear, one reason being is that my sleeping bag is pertex as well and as such I would become a static hazard to anyone within 50 feet of me:eek:):.

Generally it got used as a lightweight wind shell (especially after river crossings) or a track suit, if you have a thin cotton layer under it (underwear and T-Shirt) they are very good indeed.

They also dry very quickly once you have had them for a while, if you use them regularly they are very comfortable and fully broken in after about a month and a half, otherwise they can be clingy for quite a while :)

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
I've had a Survival Aids zoot suit for years (about 15, I think). It only ever sees light use, so it has survived well. The elastic is a bit iffy these days, but I could always replace it. I generally use mine as kip wear, as well as scruffing about whilst making the first cup of tea in the morning. Small packing, lightweight, windproof and fast drying.

Might be fun to make my own too...

ESpy

Settler
Aug 28, 2003
Hampshire
www.britishblades.com
jakunen said:
Check out the latest new arrivals from E-spy Trading!

Aaargh! Nononononono! That was *my* own, not a new range of fashionable "I can't believe it's not a shell suit" in fetching OD.

You might want to keep a bit quiet about your skills mate. You might get business...or is that your secret intent???:wink:

I've got quite enough to keep me busy for the time being!

Anyway, I'd need/want a sewing machine. Hmm... :)

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
i made myself a zootsuit when i found a l;ocal shop had several meters of olive green ripstop nylon, there is a fashion issue which is a tricky one.

times i used it have been as a wind top/bottom for canoeing, over a t-shirt and shorts.

as a wind cover over some fetching climbing ronhills.

as a spare outfit it literally is the size of a tennis bal!

as a sort of wash suit, erm, it was cold but i wanted to get to the shower block and back quickley so i shoved them on much quicker than trousers and other stuff with buttons or zips.

because it has two layers it also can hold a small amount of warmed air!

i don't use them much but i've found them well worth taking on trips anyway, purely as the size/weight isn't something you'll notice in the bottom of your bag.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
zoot suit

this only shows the top half but you get the idea.

immagine a jogging pants and top with a hood, just immagine the same thing made of nylon.

or remeber early 90's the "shell suit" designed for sport but worn as a street fashion that is very simular.

the main difference is the compactness and design.

shellsuits often had poppers, zips, logo's pockets ect
my zoot suit (which i made at home) has only simple pockets the item rolls into.

also shell suits often had a cotton lining which was more comfortable but when wet stayed wet, an i don't remember them being windproof. two layers of ripstop nylon stops allot of wind and some rain. it would stop aloty more if i proofed mine!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE