Para cord question

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

leedsbrew

Forager
May 15, 2013
Leeds
So I ordered a 100m roll of 3mm para cord from military mart. They have sent me a 60mm roll of 5mm

Both polypropylene

Before I contact them, have I got a better product or should I try and get the 3mm I wanted (now out of stock)

It's primarily for ridge line and guys for a tarp!

I ordered 100m cos its to split with my brothers! Another reason why I'm miffed its 60m

Cheers chaps

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
im sure it'll be fine for rideline / guys but im not sure its proper paracord they sell other than the 5m for a pound stuff which is probably cut off shutes. From memory proper 550 paracord is 4mm with nylon inner strands. I use 1.7mm stein dyneema throwline. Much less bulky, lighter and less stretchy than paracord.

leedsbrew

Forager
May 15, 2013
Leeds
Cheers chaps! I've emailed them saying they sent to wrong item (they also sent it to the wrong address but the neighbour brought it round yesterday evening)

I don't mind keeping it as I'm sure it will be fine, there just isn't enough of it as it was to split between us! If they send the extra 40m I'll be a happy bunny!

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Genuine paracord is nylon (polyamide) not polypropylene (e.g. bailer twine and that blue cut film rubbish) not polyester (e.g. many mooring ropes for boats) and not polyethylene (e.g. Dyneema).

Nylon is a lot denser than the other polymers, they normally float on water while nylon normally sinks.

Nylon has a lot more stretch than most other polymers (you need that elasticity if you're throwing things out of aeroplanes) and it's stronger than almost all except the modern polyethylene cords like Dyneema. Because of its stretch, nylon can heat itself alarmingly when a knot takes a sudden increase in tension, even to the point of melting the knot into a solid lump.

Nylon is expensive compared to many other polymers which are used for cordage.

As has been said, genuine paracord has a braided outer with an inner made of unbraided, unspun filaments. The cheap braided polypropylene cords usually have no core at all.

Paracord is great for some purposes (parachutes being one of them) but there are better choices for ridgelines, guylines etc.

All man-made fibres suffer a lot less from damage caused by fungus if they're left damp for any length of time. Unless they're loaded with some sort of UV absorber, all suffer from damage from sunlight if left out in the open for long periods. Many boat lines are black for example because they're loaded with carbon black which absorbs light well.

The polypropylene stuff that's (I suspect often fraudulently) advertised as paracord all over the place might actually be better for these purposes than the genuine paracord that they're trying to tell you it is, but you might get it cheaper elsewhere.

ex-member BareThrills

Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Genuine paracord is nylon (polyamide) not polypropylene (e.g. bailer twine and that blue cut film rubbish) not polyester (e.g. many mooring ropes for boats) and not polyethylene (e.g. Dyneema).

Nylon is a lot denser than the other polymers, they normally float on water while nylon normally sinks.

Nylon has a lot more stretch than most other polymers (you need that elasticity if you're throwing things out of aeroplanes) and it's stronger than almost all except the modern polyethylene cords like Dyneema. Because of its stretch, nylon can heat itself alarmingly when a knot takes a sudden increase in tension, even to the point of melting the knot into a solid lump.

Nylon is expensive compared to many other polymers which are used for cordage.

As has been said, genuine paracord has a braided outer with an inner made of unbraided, unspun filaments. The cheap braided polypropylene cords usually have no core at all.

Paracord is great for some purposes (parachutes being one of them) but there are better choices for ridgelines, guylines etc.

All man-made fibres suffer a lot less from damage caused by fungus if they're left damp for any length of time. Unless they're loaded with some sort of UV absorber, all suffer from damage from sunlight if left out in the open for long periods. Many boat lines are black for example because they're loaded with carbon black which absorbs light well.

The polypropylene stuff that's (I suspect often fraudulently) advertised as paracord all over the place might actually be better for these purposes than the genuine paracord that they're trying to tell you it is, but you might get it cheaper elsewhere.

Great post Ged, really informative.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The stuff you get off a parachute is parachute cord, the other that is generaly sold is called 550 cord.....

Actually what we stock in parachute shop (where parachutes are made and repaired) is 550 cord. "Paracord" is a name it was given by people other than parachute riggers/repairers.

But BT's post on what it's made of is spot on.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire

I find PP paracord is, much lighter, less stretchy and doesn't soak up any where near as much water as 550.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Why on earth are 'bushcrafters' hooked on paracord, its really a case of overkill for most uses, certainly no need for the stuff with tarps and tents:rolleyes:

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Actually what we stock in parachute shop (where parachutes are made and repaired) is 550 cord. "Paracord" is a name it was given by people other than parachute riggers/repairers.

But BT's post on what it's made of is spot on.

The cord I have that came off my parachute is totally different to what you buy as 550 or pet3 cord

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
To be fair to Rik I dont think he was advocating going guy-less. Guylines can be picked up much cheaper than paracord.

Having an underated line snap in the middle of the night when a hoolie blows in leaves you guyless. ;)

The OP posted about 'paracord' with probably a 180kg breaking strain, a strength about right for guy-lines after doing the maths and using kit in less than perfect weather..

I understand overkill to mean overly strong? The OP's line It may be a little more expensive than Masons line or blind cord, but is it overkill? Not in my experience and very similar to what the manufacturers fit to tents from the factory..

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The cord I have that came off my parachute is totally different to what you buy as 550 or pet3 cord

The cord we sewed onto parachutes was 550. And all parachutes aren't the same. BUT!!! The bottom line is that the MIL-Spec is still the Mil-Spec Whether the 550 cord you buy meets that spec or not is another question..

Last edited:

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
Having an underated line snap in the middle of the night when a hoolie blows in leaves you guyless. ;)

The OP posted about 'paracord' with probably a 180kg breaking strain, a strength about right for guy-lines after doing the maths and using kit in less than perfect weather..

I understand overkill to mean overly strong? The OP's line It may be a little more expensive than Masons line or blind cord, but is it overkill? Not in my experience and very similar to what the manufacturers fit to tents from the factory..

My poles have bent way before any of my cheap guy lines have snapped.(none have) Of course you need to make sure each tie out is bungeed.

Also I'd rather my guyline snapped than my tarp ripped.

Last edited:

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Your being silly now ;) Strange how so many tents using guylines thinner than paracord survive in conditions harsher than you'll find in the woods.

Me? Never :D

I think there's actually a good proportion of us on here that uses their kit for hillwalking and such as well as in the woods. Up high, it's quite common to have to tie to rocks. Having some guts to the lines is a good idea.

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE