Paper quilling

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Absolutely no relation to bushcraft, but yesterday I tried paper quilling for the first time ever with an enjoyable hour long online workshop by The Quirky Quillers. Now I need some more paper strips in better colours. :)
IMG_20230617_173748098.jpg

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
We did that at school arts class. Also straw figures, etc. We did some strange art things by conventional standards I think.

Reactions: SaraR

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
We did that at school arts class. Also straw figures, etc. We did some strange art things by conventional standards I think.
Sounds like my kind of arts class!
I did loads of papercrafts (origami, cutting snow flakes, weaving baskets and other things, building stuff etc) when I was a kid, but for some reason never quilling.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I bought one of those lethal without care old fashioned school guillotines thirty years ago. I still use it to make strips for quilling.

That said, The Range has a really good set of both tools and strips for under six pounds just now. I bought it just to have a new form maker, but it's well worth the money.
They also sell packs of strips for a pound. Much cheaper than anywhere else I've found.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Sounds like my kind of arts class!
I did loads of papercrafts (origami, cutting snow flakes, weaving baskets and other things, building stuff etc) when I was a kid, but for some reason never quilling.
We did one based around a particular style if weaving of straw. Wheat straw not plastic ones. You could make it wider or narrower diameter doing it. I think it's like corn dolly's but we did other things with it. Kind of a rural, pagan hang up I think because apparently they were linked to CoE church festival. I think it was actually a cubs activity based in the huge church hall. Those straw weaving I'm certain were pagan in origin! Supposed to be good luck when hung in your house.

The church hall was twice the size of our primary school hall which could fit over a hundred chairs in it. A full sized permanent stage too that was probably as big at stages of a lot of provincial theatres! I suspect the village was not far off the wickerman village at times! Lol!

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Our work has hand guillotines that could cut a metre wide and 50mm thick roll of material. The blade had no guard and could be taken off for sharpening. Once off you had a very big chopper albeit with a bolt hole at the end. It cut through anything from paper through mineral and glass mat to steel fibre.

It got scrapped as there was no guarding and we had a big push on guarding and preventing people getting to the parts of machinery that could hurt them if we didn't guard our interlock the access to them. I'm sure ppl on here would be less bothered in that way and could have found a use for it safely.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
So many good tools totally scraped because the terminally idiotic couldn't be bothered to learn how to use them safely.....my guillotine also has no guard.
I haven't cut myself once with it in over thirty years.

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Oh we had factory inspector pay attention to us after an accident. A reportable accident, nobody physically hurt but was off for quite some time due to close encounter. Result was the inspector went through everything with a literal application of the regulations. Our own fault, we did things as a company the old ways wrt H&S. Everything got guards or interlocking cutoffs. The guillotines they put away and developed better production methods that were more efficient anyway. 20 parts in the time of one part with the guillotines.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I had a boss once that was convinced we'd all drive better, and the roads would be safer, if we had a steel spike sticking out of the steering wheel - obvious danger is so much safer than stuff with 'weak' and automated guards.

BTW, Nice Quilling Sara - brings back memories :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE