paper handles?

NathanG

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2007
Southend On Sea
Has anyone ever made a handle out of stacked, compressed, paper? I cant see a reason why it wouldnt work seeing as other materials like leather work fine as long as you could seal the edges.

any ideas?

Nathan

AussieVic

Forager
Jan 24, 2011
Victoria, Australia
What an intriguing idea. I think it would work well.

Have you seen the articles on (homemade) micarta ? Generally people use cotton material (eg denim, canvas) in layers, with each layer being liberally spread with resin or epoxy. The whole lot is clamped and allowed to dry and it forms a solid mass which can then be cut and worked with normal wood working tools (beware of the dust produced from resin or epoxy, use a mask). There are a few good articles on this forum, and lots of other stuff on the web.

I haven’t made micarta myself, but it is on the list, perhaps I’ll add paper to the list too ….

PS Just thought - you could use (say) some old music scores to make a "music knife" etc .... customize the handle to the owner depending on their passion ? Some xmas paper ? .... sections from a favourite book, a saying (perhaps your BCUK signature) ? ... endless ideas

Last edited:

AussieVic

Forager
Jan 24, 2011
Victoria, Australia
Actually toilet paper in micarat would be a good medium because it is absorbent and quite fibrous, but not necessarily decorative.

Making the actual blade out of it .... interesting. I'm guessing more of a paper mache stabber than a micarta handle.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The actual shape was that of a martial arts Sai. They had wet it, compacted it and molded it. It dried hard as plaster and they intended to use it as an actual weapon until we found it during a shakedown and confiscated it (granted it would have been a 1 time use ambush weapon as it was a bit brittle) Inmates can be very inventive. They've shredded plastic garbage bags to make ropes, melted razor blades into the plastic handles of their toothbrushes, used the whitening powder for coffee as a fire starter, and never cease to amaze me at what they can turn into a weapon.

Last edited:

AussieVic

Forager
Jan 24, 2011
Victoria, Australia
I'm gald you got to it before it was used.
Sounds like these guys have some great improvisation skills (and lots of time to think about it). What a pitty they couldn't have used it for niceness and goodness, instead of wickedness and evil ! ("Get Smart")

NathanG

Tenderfoot
Feb 18, 2007
Southend On Sea
hi guys, thanks for the replies,

i like the idea of the denim! i think i'l do that first, see if it works and spend the time while its drying cutting out all the hundreds of squares of paper!

i'll post pics when ive done it, hopefully it'll be alright!

Nathan

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
If you're going to try paper you might make it a bit easier on yourself by useing thicker paper such as posterboard or fiberboard from old shoe boxes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE