Pans Theory Help Required

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Lithril

Administrator
Admin
Jan 23, 2004
Southampton, UK
I agree but sometimes stories like stick in people's minds and help them remember it when needed most.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Don't panic. Less than 5 minutes ago, a report of a very big sow black bear and 2 cubs, in the village, maybe 4 blocks from my house.
This situation means looking around at _everything_ before going outside. Go slowly. Look. Take your time.
It's unexpected to be sure. I don't recall ever hearing about bears in the village.

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
The tea theory is just common sense (unlike the superstitious claptrap about forest gods and promiscuous tree nymphs...). Simply put, it's all about taking a bit of time to think about the situation you've unexpectedly found yourself in. A panicked reaction is rarely the right one!

Really no promiscuous tree Nymphs, are you really sure?? Well guess I will be spending my time in the woods looking out for bigfeet instead! :joke:
Colin

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
AndyBB, while I am a great fan of paraphrasing, I think you may have taken a good thing too far ;) and are in danger of leading others to miss some things. I would urge people who are interested in this stuff to go read Stuarts piece: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/content.php?r=243-Survival-is-all-about-a-good-cup-of-tea for themselves. I think that while there is an element of common sense in what is being described, there is also a touch of genius in there as well.

Although I have seen lots of books go on about S.T.O.P. when a person realizes they are misplaced I don't recall any of them offering any advice about taking stationary beneficial action to quell the urge to take action which leads to bad decisions and possibly becoming lost. There is ample evidence that what is common sense when you are sitting at home, or in your familiar surroundings, may not be so common when you are away or in strange surroundings. Also, the article was not attempting to teach woodsmen how to behave, rather it was describing a technique being employed to instruct non-woodsmen to be safer in the jungle while taking part in an activity with a higher than normal risk of becoming lost. Telling people about to head out to simply not do anything stupid or rash doesn't carry high odds of stopping them doing those things :lmao:

Anyone heard of the program in the US to teach kids about getting lost in the forset, Hug-A-Tree? There is more to the course than telling kids to hug trees, but that is a big part. Sounds silly, but its proven to be a good course since it tackles part of the psychology of getting lost.

Last edited:

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Not sure I understand all that! Common sense is common sense regardless of where you are, and taking the time to actually think (which is what the tea-break is) about what to do next, rather than make a panic response, is the whole point of it. And the "tea-break" philosophy has been around for decades - probably centuries - in one form or another. After all, tea/tiffin was an essential component of the British drive and success in forging a worldwide empire on which the sun literally never set, despite only being a tiny island on the world atlas!

Admittedly, there are times when it might not be applicable, as making a cuppa as you get hit by an avalanche is probably taking it a bit too far.... And it is not a panacea/replacement for the gaining of knowledge or preparation for conditions likely to be encountered. But a few minutes quiet reflection in a tricky situation will settle the adrenalin-fuelled fight-or-flight response and allow for a more rational state of mind to address the problem.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE