Panic Attacks in woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mercury

Forager
Jan 27, 2004
East Yorkshire England
< swings lantern >

When I was a young airman it was part of my duty to refuel the 380kva genny that used to power our site , now the site was basically a portacabin and some equipment with sodium flare lamps to provide illumination. Some of the flare units pointed inward which of course blinded you

anyway , one time at midnight it was my turn ( as always ) to refuel and we had just been watching "Alien" , specifically the bit where the baby alien runs around the sick bay.

Outside in the dark , half blinded by the light I made my way across to genny 1 when all of a sudden a small alien like "thing" ran across the patch of light in front

My bpm shot up to around 100

Of course it was a fluffy bunny but you never know , it may have been armed and dangerous

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
One night in the woods, Kate688 and I got startled by a screech owl (darn I know they're not called that in the UK but I forgot what they are called!) and in fright she grabbed on to me and in fright I grabbed onto ... a blackthorn tree! :yikes:

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I experienced a genuine panic attack during my Fundamental Bushcraft course at Woodlore a couple of weeks ago.

We were sleeping in leaf litter shelters, I had gone to sleep with no problems whatsoever.
However, I woke at about 1.30, as those of you who have slept in this type of shelter will know they have very good sound insulting properties and are very, very dark. I think it was this silence and total darkness
that got me, but I just had to get out of that shelter, the panic was simply overwhelming.

I spent the rest of the night in my tent and declined to use the shelter again on the following night.

As an aside, getting back to my tent proved to be something of an adventure all of its own, being on unfamiliar ground, with a rolling patchy fog to add to the fun.
I think they call them "character building experiences".

Dave

jakunen

Native
Dave,
That was the problem with isolation tanks when they were first used. The lack of stimuli was supposed to create a calmness to help people relax but it REALLY freaked some of the first 'guinea pigs'.
Just goes to show you're 'normal'. Whatever that might mean... :wink:

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
Ouch, you have my full sympathies.

And so the thread comes a full circle; starting with a panic attack in woods and Woodlore helping to sort it, to a panic attack in woods on a Woodlore course!

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Forgot to mention that I was told by one of the instructors that its not uncommon for leaf shelters to have that effect. Apparently a candle burning by the opening can help.

If Roger, the chap who I was sharing the shelter with is reading, Thanks for your help and patience.

Dave

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Good call BOD,

All Mind Games really, for the most advanced intelligent ( dangerous ) Creature on the planet we don't half all revert back to being Scared little Mammals once night Comes..!!!

Pict

Settler
Jan 2, 2005
Central Brazil
clearblogs.com
I was camping with my daughter just below a rocky ridge in central Brazil. This was her first "survival" trip and she was sleeping in a hammock off by herself about 15 yards away from me. I was still up by the fire and she had gone to bed, or so I thought. I heard her call, "DAD?!" there was real fear in her voice. "There's something up on the ridge!"

I walked over there thinking OK, this is nothing. I'll just calm her fears, she's only 12. This is mountain lion country but seriously we would be honored to see one.

She was out of her hammock. "OK kid what did you see?" I asked, fishing my 120 lumen Surefire light out of my pocket.

"Up there..."

I blasted the ridge with light...

GIANT GLOWING EYES!!:yikes:

Once I recovered from the shock I could see it was just a big owl.

The next day we made fire hardened spears and felt better about our camp on "Cougar Ridge". Mac

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Not seen this thread before - reading the original post it makes me wish this forum had a rep system. :)

+1

Very inspirational post. There's a lot of stuff in this thread where I just nod in agreement and see my scared self in the forests from time to time.

Scariest moments:

Canada, British Columbia, Vancouver Island, on the West Coast Trail, 3rd or 4th day: We were walking along the trail (I was second in line), when I heard screaming, then a loud noise in front. Turns out the guy in front had seen a black bear and, in a panic attack, shot his bear banger instantly. He coudn't even remember where he shot it. My heart was pumping!

That night, we were camped by the beach not far a way (maybe a mile). And on the beach there were cougar prints! :yikes: We had been warned that there's only one cougar around, a 'problem cougar', which actually was considered agressive to humans, sneaking up on them.

We felt being watched the whole evening, and the fire was a lot bigger that it needed have been...

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
A fascinating insight into human behavior, with particular relevance to being in the woods and wilderness may be found in the book 'Deep Survival' - Who Lives, Who Dies, and Why.

The terms 'Bewilder', 'Bewildered and 'Bewilderment' originate in the chaotic mental state which occurs in people when they find themselves in woods and wilderness!

Prior to seeing this thread, I was going to post about this book as I believe it to be a valuable aid to understanding behavior, particularly in oneself, and that reading this book will better prepare the reader, irrespective of their background, training or experience.

For over 35 years, the author has been studying accidents and their roots in human behavior, the book is the culmination of that research.

400000000000000160559_s4.jpg

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Its strange that Im the opposite. Im very happy in the dark in the woods on my own. Lighting a fire or putting a torch on scares me because it makes me visible.
perhaps its because my own fear centers around meeting people in the darkness not the dark itself or the wild animals/spooks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE