Pain free meat???????????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
hmm, will it really make a difference? They might not feel physical pain, but poor living conditions can still cause mental pain...

Also, surely feeling no pain can cause problems, they could really hurt themselves and not even notice they're doing anything.///

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
I'm pretty sure they don't feel pain once dead:) And removing all feeling so they live like a vegetable for their life span really doesn't seem to be all that good either.
The method of killing is really the only contentious issue, with the goal being to have their death as quick and painless as possible. And of course they should be treated humanely while living. So why meddle with their genetic makeup?
I will never knowingly consume any product that's been genetically modified in any way, as I think it's very wrong to unnaturally change such things. Do we really know what we're doing, long term? It's bad enough that everything we eat is sopping with various chemicals.
Leave nature alone.

I'll edit to add that whether I'm being hypocritical or not, I would be in favour of genetically modifying the scientists that dream up these ideas.

Last edited:

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
Seems to me to be a potential precursor to being able to keep them in terrible conditions because 'it's ok they aren't uncomfortable because they are incapable of feeling pain.' Carry it on to battery hens. It doesn't matter about them pecking at each other because they can't feel it.
This may not be what the scientists have in mind but I bet it won't be long before it occurs to the industry thinking of profit and making the maximum from the given space.

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
yet again we (by which I mean them, clearly not us :D) have completely and utterly failed to see the point. As chrisj said, this is just a precursor to the keeping of animals in ever more barbaric conditions.

Shambling Shaman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 1, 2006
In The Wild
www.mindsetcentral.com
Seems to me to be a potential precursor to being able to keep them in terrible conditions because 'it's ok they aren't uncomfortable because they are incapable of feeling pain.' Carry it on to battery hens. It doesn't matter about them pecking at each other because they can't feel it.
This may not be what the scientists have in mind but I bet it won't be long before it occurs to the industry thinking of profit and making the maximum from the given space.

Agreed Chris, but this is a bit worrying too??

Stem cell meat almost a reason not to have animals at all??

http://www.helium.com/items/1070331-stem-cell-clean-meat-peta-save-animals-new

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/4212533

Start messing with nature she will bite your bottom, imho

Last edited:

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Which will mean bad meat....Hardly good business.

Progress in meat...I once heard of a cow in NZ which had been bred to have polyunsaturated fat in it and produce polyunsaturated milk...Surley there is a vast market for this.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Bleeding heart liberals should be excluded from all forms of livestock management and indeed the countryside using cattle prods.

The idiot that proposed this kind of "frankenfood" should be confined to a city for the duration

Pillock

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE