pack ponies

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
I have a few ponies(short horses)and am considering breaking one as a pack pony to carry kit along the south downs way. has anyone any experience of travelling with the afore mentioned beasts and if so are there any tips to be offered :-D

Brynglas

bushwacker bob said:
I have a few ponies(short horses)and am considering breaking one as a pack pony to carry kit along the south downs way. has anyone any experience of travelling with the afore mentioned beasts and if so are there any tips to be offered :-D

Two years ago I trekked through the North of Patagonia, a week of this was with ponies which was a hell of an experience, things weren't helped by the fact that the b*****d animals would only listen to the gauchos who rented them to us and were half wild with us. They carried a lot of kit though and although they were great in open country they would get caught up in woodland which was a nuisance and held us up a bit.

I know that ponies have been used by people exploring the wild areas of Mid Wales with success, as that's mostly moorland.

Hope that this helps

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
There is an article in the arpil 2004 edition of the countryman about David Anthony Murry who went on a trek with his packhorse 'dai' from lizard point to dunnett head to raise conservation issues. He was unsupported and had no car to back him up. A very interesting read as it sites alot of the problems he had on the way... like fences....
I would suggest you read it.

:)
Ed

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
I've packed into backcountry with mules and horses. Lamas from South America are another popular pack animal. A very important consideration is WEEDFREE feed for your ponies. If you are going into a pristine or diverse, native biotic community pack animals can introduce many exotic plants through manure. People grossly overload pack animals. Pound per pound, we can actually carry a greater load. Comfortable, balanced loads are essential. There are several good books on packing. The classic is Horses,Hitches and Rocky Trails by Joe Back, available from many equestrian outlets and pack suppliers over here. It's a wonderfull read even if you never pack. An early article in Wilderness Way magazine, www.wwmag.com described homemade pack gear for small burrows and donkeys.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE