Pack 'n' Go rations.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

seatarp

Oct 26, 2010
By the Sea in Blighty
I've had this meal sitting around for sometime and have been meaning to try it before I take one out for a days hike or camping/tarping trip. It's menu 5 from Pack 'n' Go's expedition range and is a freeze dried Beef Shepherds Pie, which is odd because my Mum bought me up on lamb shepherds pie and calls this beef version cottage pie.

The destructions are simple;
"PREPARATION: Add 350ml boiling water (line B on the inside) to the content of the pouch. Stir well. Leave 6-8 minutes before eating."
Plain and simple tear the packet at the cut outs then follow the above.

So boiling water in the pouch and after a good stir, what I thought was a good stir anyway, I tucked in. It tastes pretty good but I think it needs closer to 450ml of water and excessive stirring, with a long spoon, to get all the peas rehydrated and to soak all of the powder. Nice beef, onion, and potato flavours but a little lacking in texture. Some beef chunks would be nice but it does what it says on the pack and is quite filling too.

The question is would I take one into the field? Yes, but I would also add more water and stir extra well. Better to have a soupy meal than a stodgy dry one! Would I recommend them to you? Again yes but with the above info chucked in.

www.be-well.co.uk is the website with the ingredients and other menu options. http://www.bewellexpeditionfoods.com/Menu-5-2400-Kcal.html is the ration pack that this meal is from. Available from the usual places for £3.50 - £4, depends on menu choice.

Bon appytights.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
sounds a bit like the "Raven" meals of yesteryear.
usually quite nice as long as you remember as you say to mix it properly otherwise you get the odd dry bit of flavour or mash.

other good point you can eat out of the packet so no washing up!

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Yeah, I've used the Pack'n'Go rations quite a bit... For a lightweight, low effort ration I reckon they're pretty good - there's certainly plenty of calories in the bag for 24 hours of moderate activity (well, plenty for me anyway) and they only weigh 600g or so. As with most of these things, you do have to use everything - there's a surprising number of calories in the energy drink. They're not as good as proper food, but for a dehydrated ration, they're fine. OK, the desserts are a bit weird... ;)

However, there is one drastic oversight with these packs - NO TEA! I mean, honestly... If there's one thing I want in a ration pack, it's TEA! Easily enough fixed though... Oh, and the hot chocolate is one of the best I've had.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE