Oyster mushroom recipe please ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
I started with a bad day which turned into a great foraging trip

I found a massive patch of oyster mushrooms and being bait clueless to what they were and being more than wary of any fungi after a boyish mistake in my teens making me pretty sick I've avoided all mushrooms as I used the better safe than sorry technique
Anyway wanting to have some knowledge on all things bushcraft I've started taking an interest and as I am learning this site is a variable library of knowledge if you don't mind asking the question
So after help from Geoff Dann who seems to be quite the expert I have harvested a good crop
By the way geoffs blog is great. http://www.geoffdann.co.uk/

Anyway other than frying them last night with some venison steak I'm after some ideas on other recipes

image.jpg
Running out of the door in excitement and getting to the woods without a bag,pot to carrie them home I had to make one no comments please as it was a quick bodge

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 7
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 8
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 7

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
I am very envious of your find, but cannot give you another recipe. Personally I prefer my mushrooms fried in a little butter as I find them tastiest that way.
As you have so many of them maybe you could try drying or pickling them ? But don't know how to go about it.

yoko

Jun 5, 2013
madrid
Sizzle quickly in a hot pan so they don't lose much water, when almost done dress with some olive oil, finely chopped garlic and fresh parsley. Let it rest for a min in the cooling pan. Careful not to burn the garlic. Hope you like it.

Catfish1972

Feb 11, 2013
London
My Oyster mushroom gratin recipe is similar to yoko's, but better! Rip the oyster mushrooms into strips and heat up in a casserole dish in the oven until soft. Add a splash of olive oil, plenty of chopped curly parsley and a bit of garlic, then add breadcrumbs and grate some parmesan on top. Put in back into the oven until the bread is crispy.

Perrari

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 21, 2012
Eryri (Snowdonia)
www.erknives.com
Now that Sounds nice !

My Oyster mushroom gratin recipe is similar to yoko's, but better! Rip the oyster mushrooms into strips and heat up in a casserole dish in the oven until soft. Add a splash of olive oil, plenty of chopped curly parsley and a bit of garlic, then add breadcrumbs and grate some parmesan on top. Put in back into the oven until the bread is crispy.

yoko

Jun 5, 2013
madrid
Sure yours is a nice one. Must be tasty. But the main (and scarce) nutritional values of fungi come from their water and salts content. By slow cooking it you lose most of that water.

Catfish1972

Feb 11, 2013
London
It's a very quick recipe (a few minutes) and the mushrooms end up soft and slippery. The crunch comes from the breadcrumbs/cheese.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE