Oxfordshire/Gloucestershire area

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Bootstrap Bob said:
I also need to give him a list of activities that we will be undertaking so that everyone knows where they stand.
I will start with the list that I posted at the beginning of the thread and see how that goes. Does anyone have anything else that they would like to try while they are there?

Hiya, theres no mention of firelighting, is having a fire to cook on etc going to be a problem? Also some people might also like to cover things like bow drill and firesteel firelighting? Or like myself continue to practice with different materials and natural tinders.

Cheers

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
andyn said:
Hiya, theres no mention of firelighting, is having a fire to cook on etc going to be a problem?

Cheers
Andy..........Try reading to top post mate.
I would be interested in comming, if there are any places left...........

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
Andyn
As Jon says I did mention fire lighting in the original post but just to re-iterate I will be pushing for this but it may only be in a designated area for safety reasons.

Jon
Haven't even considered how many people or dates yet but I will add you to my unofficial list.
I'll know some more when the Manager returns which will be next week, in the mean time I have a trip down to Dorset to try out my new Hex3 shelter. The place I'm staying allows fires too. :) :)

The Joker

Native
Sep 28, 2005
Surrey, Sussex uk
Bootstrap Bob said:
I'll know some more when the Manager returns which will be next week, in the mean time I have a trip down to Dorset to try out my new Hex3 shelter. The place I'm staying allows fires too. :) :)

Sounds good how long you staying down in Dorset for.....................and do you need someone to help drive to Dorset..... :lmao: :lmao:

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Bootstrap Bob said:
Andyn
As Jon says I did mention fire lighting in the original post but just to re-iterate I will be pushing for this but it may only be in a designated area for safety reasons.

Doh sorry buddy, my eyes must have had some grit in them and i must have blinked and missed that sentance...

...well thats my excuse and im sticking to it! :eek:

Have fun in Dorest. :)

T

TimB

Bootstrap,

Is there room for 1 more on the OXON / GLOUS meet? I'm down in Newbury, so by my calculations not too far to travel!

:O)

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
Sorry Guys, not sure my GF would appreciate someone else in the tent, we've been planning this weekend trip for a while and the farm books up quickly.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Bootstrap Bob said:
Andyn

Jon
Haven't even considered how many people or dates yet but I will add you to my unofficial list.
Cheers Bob.......

N

Not that Taz

Given I'm in the process of moving from Wilts to S.Glos.... count me in for a laugh (with the usual caveat of date and time permitting...)

Good man for sortin' this :You_Rock_

Taz

J

jinx

Hi Bootstrap,

Im new to this bushcraft thing but keen to get involved and meet others, especially in the Gloucestershire area. Count me in if there is room.

Jinx

Bootstrap Bob said:
This is a follow up to the Oxfordshire and surrounding area post I made about a potential site for bushcraft activities.
Well things have moved on so I decided this now needs a thread of its own.

I visited the site in question this weekend and spoke to the events organiser (the woodland is used for other activities too) and the outcome was positive. He has no objections to holding a bushcraft meet and does not foresee any objections from the owners considering the type of activities which already take place there :)
You will appreciate that what follows is subject to agreement by the owners and could very easily, as is often the case, not happen so please don't have a go at me if it does :eek:

So what does the site consist of?

30 acres of woodland
3 ponds
A natural flat secluded area for camping
Parking behind locked gates.

Potential activities:
Shelter building - there is more than enough materials for this.
Wild cooking - I saw blackberry bushes, lots of fungi (not sure what though) and fresh water shrimp!
Natural cordage - nettles galore and willow.

There may be a requirement to do some clearing of various areas but I don't think this will put people off and it will actually help the owners.
There will also need to be some rules agreed with the owners before anyone is allowed on site e.g fire lighting (probably restricted to one communal fire only).

What I need from you guys now is an indication of anyone who may be interested in a meet at the site so we can take this to the owners. I will be giving them a link to BCUK so they can see for themselves that we are serious about it.

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
TimB
Not that Taz
Ditch Monkey
jinx

You're added to the unofficial list. That makes 20 interested so far although I'm sure the dates will probably not be suitable for all when we actually get round to setting some.

Jinx, do you want me to include jinx junior too? (welcome to the forum) :)

For everyone else who is interested and thanks for being patient, the forest manager is back this week and my contact has emailed to say he still intends to talk to him on our behalf.

Fingers crossed we should have a decision soon :)

crazydave

Settler
Aug 25, 2006
Gloucester
sounds good - it'll be nice to do some none PC camping and listen to the woods again :)

I work a really odd shift pattern but I'm only in glos so thats makes it easier.

J

jinx

"Jinx, do you want me to include jinx junior too? (welcome to the forum) :) "

Absolutly doodly, and thanks for the welcome.

Jinx

Boxy

May 9, 2005
Abingdon
Hi Bob,

If theres still room, and depending on the date, I'm interested.

I'm in oxfordshire and mobile.

Cheers

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
Just in case you guys had given up I thought I ought to let you know what's going on.
There has still been no news. :red: I'll keep trying but I have not had a response to either email or text messages :banghead:
I am beginning to wonder if my contact is on holiday.

At this rate we'll be in to autumn before anything is arranged but look on the bright side - that'll mean plenty of leaf litter for shelter building :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE