Trip Report Overnighter with a lovely steak, and mens mental health?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tracker1972

Forager
Jun 21, 2008
Matlock
Well, seems like I'm properly back on it, another trip, and the next one is already booked, someone else is coming, so it will just have to happen at the start of December.

Anyway, what's with the mens mental health bit? Well, you've either guessed that it includes a steak cooked in response to Haze Outdoors and his "show us your steak" challenge, or you haven't. Suffice to say, I am a YouTube minnow so rather than hang about waiting to never get tagged, I just did it anyway. There will be a three links at the end, one for the trip, one for my steak/mental health chat and one for Haze Outdoors and his first video kicking it off. Enough of that though, what about the trip..?

Well, in traditional fashion, I left late for my local overnight camp, the big one, and with the clocks going back it was virtually pitch black as I went up. Cold and (relatively) crisp my unfit state allowed me to walk up the hill in just a t-shirt but on arrival, that had to change and dressed up a little more the camp was together in short order and the fire set on a thicker than usual base. Not a proper upside down fire, but the first couple of layers in the hope of creating a quick base of coals. It worked to a point but I came very close to not having enough to cook my tea! Rather than dwell on the potential failure though, I'll just consider it efficient, certainly no bigger than it needed to be ;-)

A great steak and an awesome mushroom and stilton sauce was accompanied by some remarkably successful sauteed sweet potato and washed down with a blast from my past. A bottle of Black Sheep, haven't had any of that for an age!

The evening was simply lovely, dark, decent little fire and a cold breeze making the fire all the more welcome. Snug as ever in the hammock another wonderful sunrise was met with a grunt, then falling back to sleep for a change and waking to a bright morning. A coffee in the dog bowl from the top of the Zebra billy (forgot my cup) and a fairly successful cooking of black pudding on the new grill later a satisfied and refreshed Chris was on my way home. I know I keep saying it, but it really does do you good doesn't it? Even if it isn't an epic?

Chris.

The trip.

My "show us your steak" video.

Haze Outdoors and his mental health video.

9ee0cd642f378106a814c74ddbffc39d.jpg
4090fcaf95b85e8f762a741acab05f04.jpg

d744d3492554a413d62a608308251e76.jpg
12c2ba18e991862f715f300c22e2c82c.jpg
c450fd54d8c084c9e0bd6749777677b0.jpg
2f730792cf9f584642b345742c39e5e6.jpg

Last edited:

Thorgrim

Dec 12, 2015
London
Thanks for your trip report and well done on getting involved with the Show us your steak challenge.

I am enjoying the steak/mental health videos and have found a few (new to me) YouTubers worth following.

tracker1972

Forager
Jun 21, 2008
Matlock
Thanks for your trip report and well done on getting involved with the Show us your steak challenge.

I am enjoying the steak/mental health videos and have found a few (new to me) YouTubers worth following.
Thank you and, yes, I've enjoyed finding some new channels to follow as well. Good to hear several different takes on the subject.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE