Overnighter in some Kentish woods

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
"You must be mad" is a polite way of describing what my wife said to me as I announced I was going camping for a night in the middle of january. "No babe, I dont think so" I said, "give me a cold january camp over celebrity big brother any day of the week!" And off I went with some mates for a cold overnighter in our local woods on the north kent downs.

I will admit to being slightly nervous as I am a novice bushcrafter embarking on my first winter camp but alas, I had good company and ended up pleasantly surprised at how comfortable you can be in the woods when you have the right kit and know how (and several layers of clothing!!)

I think the highlight for us was the sight of a pair of buzzards flying past just above us and the tree canopy. I dont think I've ever seen buzzards flying wild in this part of kent.

As for our shelter, I had a comfortable nights sleep in my hi-gear soloista tent and budget 4 season bag from another high st outdoor 'warehouse' store. Yes its a cheapo tent but has performed admirably in two camps where the conditions have been far from ideal. Maybe when it gives up the ghost I'll upgrade to a better quality tent or contemplate hammocking. There was a slight gradient which meant I slid down the tent a little bit but not too bad, will probably pitch the tent differently next time (am open to some advice on pitching a tent on a slight slope)

20150117_132705_zpsc74c5382.jpg~320x480

My fellow camper (also of this parish) on the other hand was the king of the swingers in his hennesey hammock and tarp, he also used his new edc hammock to great effect by storing his kit beneath the main hammock.

IMG_1848_zpse39e2f41.jpg~320x480

20150117_145606_zps1bc62c61.jpg~320x480

There was lots of deadfall silver birch about so no real drama when it come to firelighting - ably lit by my bushcrafting buddy. I think the deadfall was largely from all the bad weather we had last winter as there was lots of widowmakers to be wary of (not around our camp though!) We just made sure there was plenty of wood set aside before nightfall and then we were set for the night. A nice deflector helped push the heat out so with fire, shelter and sausage sticks sorted, it was time to kick back and enjoy the peace of our surroundings and maybe enjoy a beer or two when some friends arrived for the evening.

20150117_154609_zpsa1184bdf.jpg~320x480

In the morning it was time to field test the new hobo stove (no pics but it was the ravenlore inspired 10cm billy and utensil holder jobby! many thanks for the inspiration for that, I'll add some photos to the hobo stove thread in due course) and I must Confess that I have much to learn when it comes to firelighting with wet wood (some homework for me!!) But all was not lost as my hobo stove is truly multi fuel and the trangia meths burner soon helped to boil some water and fry my eggs.

We departed just as the forecasted showers arrived and of course we left no trace at the camp spot. Here's to the next camp!

20150118_093359_zps94d239dd.jpg~320x480

I arrived home sporting that potent 'eau du fire' scent, can't say that it had the lynx effect though and took two showers to get rid of the lovely bushcraftershave!

Last edited:

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
That sounds like a great way to spend a weekend, and a successful trip. Well done. Looks like a nice little tent too.

Anything is better than Big Brother...

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
I can lend you my army issue bivi bag next time mate,just so you can try a night without the tent.Pitch the tarp right and you will be just fine,I have done it many a time it's great when your laying there and the local foxes run passed ;)

ocean1975

Jan 10, 2009
rochester, kent
Happy days mate,look forward to seeing it next month,as for tempetures I want it to be sub zero ;) a real test of kit and a real sense of achievement.I want to beat -3 c ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE