Overnight kayaking in Ayrshire....

Leaving from Dunure & paddling on very Lumpy Seas to Bracken Bay, south of Heads of Ayr, in the firth of clyde - not a great distance but a challenge in the conditions with the reward of Camping overnight in a large cave 15 feet above the high water mark - one of my favourite campspots with an excellent view over the whole firth.

Picture089.jpg

Picture090.jpg
[/IMG]
Picture088.jpg

Picture093.jpg

Picture096.jpg

Picture106.jpg

Picture108.jpg

Picture143.jpg

Picture155.jpg

Picture161.jpg

Picture111.jpg

Picture123.jpg

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Ah proper kayaks,goodjob

sadly I can't sit in one comfortably, for long enough to make it feasible to buy one:sadwavey:

So I drifted to the good old Canadian bath tub!;)

looks like a really magical spot, probably used for millenia by our ancestors.

thanks for posting

atb

R.B.

The stoves a homemade job - out of old stainless bowls & a stainless drain strainer to contain the fire...I posted something about it in the 'homemade' section of the forum a while back....I'ts blown my expectations out of the water - superb bit of kit. Feeds on driftwood but loves charcoal. We use it as our campfire when wood is scarce.
Saves carrying stinky expensive petrol so I've semi-retired my Coleman Peak1.

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
Great trip and magical location!
happy0034.gif

Those caves are something else, I just love the 'on site 'Yak garage'.
happy0054.gif

Interesting to think that these caves have provided a natural sanctuary for thousands of years, with only the occupants equipment changing...

Speaking of equipment, nice on board bilge pump on the blue 'Yak, weather radio and paddling gear. A very professional set up.

The stove is a masterpiece in its own right, thanks for sharing.

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Spent a few nights there in the past myself, crackin spot. And the bonus is, it's only 15 mins from my house:cool: Heading don the Mull of Galloway tomorrow and Wednesday night but might try and get a night there next week. Not bad fishing there too if you get the tides right ;) Great pics btw :D

Yep a cracking spot, it was in full bloom & the view is magic - coupled with the sound from that wee waterfall - We've left it in tiptop condition for you after crushing & removing all the empties we found on our arrival - some people just don't get it, do they?....Enjoy the mull...cheers mate.

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Excellent :D and thanks for sharing :cool:

Those photos bring to mind the birlinn roosts under the old sea castles of the west coast :D

cheers,
Toddy

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
Yep a cracking spot, it was in full bloom & the view is magic - coupled with the sound from that wee waterfall - We've left it in tiptop condition for you after crushing & removing all the empties we found on our arrival - some people just don't get do they?....Enjoy the mull...cheers mate.

Found plenty rubbish down there last time I was down there too, good on you for tidying up:bigok: . The Mull's getting the same way now too with all the £5 throwaway tents and bottles/cans left everywhere, does my nut in. Last time down at East Tarbet we collected 4 bin bags of rubbish before we left. I'm moving to Shetland for 6 months with my girlfriend to work so hopefully wont see the same kind of mess up there, fingers crossed.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE