Overnight in the New Forest - ideas?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Folcwigga

Forager
Aug 11, 2009
London
I live in London and am looking for a couple of days away to get some camping in. The New Forest is a few hours away by coach so i was thinking of heading there early Saturday and getting the coach back late Sunday. Anything in particular i should try and see for or be worried about?

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I live in London and am looking for a couple of days away to get some camping in. The New Forest is a few hours away by coach so i was thinking of heading there early Saturday and getting the coach back late Sunday. Anything in particular i should try and see for or be worried about?

You'll need a permit, and I think the days of camping in the wilds of the New Forest as my family and I used to do fifty years ago are long gone.

I don't know what your experience is but if you're comfortable in the outdoors and won't be doing any damage or drawing a lot of attention to yourself then apart from not being able to have a fire nor feed the horses there are no worries.

There are closer places that are less strictly regulated.

Folcwigga

Forager
Aug 11, 2009
London
I'm happy to pitch up a tent or tarp in the dark and just settle in for the night, i've done it enough times. I'm just planning on meandering about in the day and practising some bushcrafty stuff. Where would you suggest closer?

Bartooon

Nomad
Aug 1, 2007
New Forest
Unfortunately, it is difficult to get away with much in the New Forest. As you say, it is possible to stick up a tarp & hammock or a small tent after dark and be on your way by first light, but that is probably not the most relaxing experience. You would still have to watch out for the myriads of ponies who blunder through the woods at all times - you really don't want them trampling over your tent while you sleep! The forest is covered by so many laws and regulations that bushcrafting as we know it is all but impossible legally. For instance, there is no wild camping allowed, fires are not permitted anywhere, you cannot take any wood, dead or green, nothing may be attached to trees (not even a tarp line) etc.

However, there are a few remoter patches where you are less likely to be bothered by walkers / cyclists / dog walkers / rangers / keepers / agisters and, in practice, no-one will notice if you were to help yourself to an occasional bit of birch but it is certainly not the wilderness it sometimes appears to be from the outside (unfortunately!).

There are loads of legal camp sites though, ranging from the enormous 3000+ pitch variety, such as Roundhill, run by Camping in the Forest to small private ones such as Acres Down Farm. The forest is just starting to show its autumn colours now and is beautiful as ever.

If you do come down, I hope you have a great time.

boatman

Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
The New Forest was great in the sixties, with that permit one could camp most places away from fences. Now I would go for a legal small campsite unless absolutely minimalist bivvy bagging. Do and try to take in the arboretum http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/englandhampshirenoforestnewforestblackwater

We also like the area round the Rufus Stone and the pub nearby "The Sir Walter Tyrell", if it is not too frantically busy as it sometimes is. Try to solve the mystery of the death of Rufus which was here most likelyand not where modern revisionists would place it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Killing-Wil...1903&sr=1-1&keywords=killing+of+william+rufus

Steve Cz

Feb 10, 2014
Northants
www.czwortek.com
Sent an email to the Lymington site, explaining that I use soft webbing and only need two trees. Their website states that they back onto the New Forest........this was their reply

"Although we would love you to come and visit our park, we do not have any trees for you to hang your hammock.
Thank you for your enquiry."
am I missing something here?

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Sent an email to the Lymington site, explaining that I use soft webbing and only need two trees. Their website states that they back onto the New Forest........this was their reply

"Although we would love you to come and visit our park, we do not have any trees for you to hang your hammock.
Thank you for your enquiry."
am I missing something here?

Well if you were thinking of hanging a hammock in the New Forest, then perhaps you are -- the local regulations. If not, then maybe I'm missing something about your question and perhaps you can explain for the slower ones amongst us. :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
A forest is called a forest because it was a royal hunting preserve to get meat to feed the court. The term "Forest" does not in fact relate to the presence of trees at all. Large parts of the New Forest are bare of trees.

Chilliphil

Forager
Nov 16, 2013
Hampshire
Certainly not many trees in the Lymington area. A lot of these campsites are just open fields. The Ashurst site is in the woods, but they are very protective over their trees in the New Forest so you might not be able to hang a hammock there.

Paulm

May 27, 2008
Hants
I believe all the Forestry Commission owned sites in the New Forest prohibit tying anything to the trees, mainly to protect the trees of course, but also I think to avoid problems with the ponies (and presumably kids on bikes and running around) running into them, though not sure if I read or heard that last bit or just imagined it !

Certainly Ashurst and Hollands Wood, the ones I've been to so far didn't allow it.

Obviously lots of trees around outside of the camping sites although camping outside of the official sites is prohibited of course ;)

Cheers, Paul

Bartooon

Nomad
Aug 1, 2007
New Forest
I have run bushcraft classes at some of the Camping in the Forest sites in the New Forest and I can confirm that they are very strict about not allowing anything to be attached to trees. The regulations do not even allow campers to tie a clothes line to a tree. The usually quoted reason is to avoid the risk of damaging the trees but they are also worried about ponies, deer, etc garrotting themselves.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE