Over 2500 lynxes and 1700 bears counted in Finland

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
According to new population estimates by Finnish Game and Fisheries Research Institute, there are over 2500 lynxes living in Finland at the end of this year. According to the institute, there are also some 1700 Brown bears living there. This means that for the first time we have passed the numbers of bears that were estimated to live in the same area during the 1870s. These are great news for me as the status of bear in Finnish culture is comparable to those of moose and swan, both which were almost extinct in Finland like the bear and lynx. Due of the increasing number of lynxes, the Finnish officials have considering to give out licenses to shoot 375 lynxes within a year which is a bit more than during last years. News in Finnish.

As you can from the graphs below, the populations of both species has grown rapidly after the 1990s. The first one is for the bears and the latter one for lynxes. I have understood that there are still some efforts to reintroduce lynx to England and just not only to Scotland?

karhukanta.jpg

ilveskanta.jpg

Osprey

Forager
Nov 21, 2006
Aberdeenshire
That is great news Martti :) I visited your country in May this year on a nature exchange study tour and was very impresssed by your conservation programmes. I think it will be a very long time before we re-introduce lynx to Scotland although academic studies would appear to show that we have enough suitable connected forest habitat up here in the north of Scotland to support a small lynx population. However we are a small country with a population of 5 million so we have a higher population density than Finland, a different land-use and land ownership pattern and a very different culture. We exterminated our predator species a long time ago and many people wish it to remain like that !
We reintroduced a small number of beaver a few years ago despite a lot of opposition, and some of them have been illegally shot. So I don't think we are quite ready for lynx yet !

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
So I don't think we are quite ready for lynx yet !

I find that quite odd as I believe you still have some wildcat (Felis silvestris) populations remaining in the Great Britain. Both species do hunt the same small game species but I can understand that the people will think that lynx might kill also their sheeps etc.

Osprey

Forager
Nov 21, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I think it is the sheep problem that is the biggest obstacle, though I read some research which suggested that Lynx only kill within 100 metres or less from the forest edge, so maybe it is not such a great problem. However persuading people is the hardest part.
We do still have Felis silvestris, but the current estimates are at around 400 animals, so they are not doing well here. Their greatest threat is from interbreeding with domestic cats I think.

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
I think it is the sheep problem that is the biggest obstacle, though I read some research which suggested that Lynx only kill within 100 metres or less from the forest edge, so maybe it is not such a great problem. However persuading people is the hardest part.

A week ago couple of lynxes killed three sheeps from a herd of eight in Espoo, which is situated next to the Finnish capital city of Helsinki. I think most of the opposition they face in Finland is caused by the fact that they usually kill more than they are willing to eat. The case is the same with the wolverine (150 individuals left), but with the wolf (140 individuals) it is more that people fear for their dogs and children although wolves kill maybe a dozen or so (hunting) dogs per year and the last person killed by wolves was killed in 1881.

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
very interesting population graphs, what on earth happened in 2006? We have both populations growing quite slowly but steadily for 30 years then in just 5 years the populations double. How accurate are the earlier census? could it be under recording in the past? Have the weather conditions just been perfect for high breeding success for 5 years? or was there some external change say in hunting law in 2006?

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
How accurate are the earlier census? could it be under recording in the past? Have the weather conditions just been perfect for high breeding success for 5 years? or was there some external change say in hunting law in 2006?

It is my understanding that the censuses have been always made according to the winter populations by counting individual animal tracks. These are reported by hunters, the Border Guard and state-owned Metsähallitus. Estimations are also based on game populations, individual observations and GPS trackings. These are supposely to be quite accurate.

Acccording to Finnish Meteorological Institute, the 2000s were warmer than average decade so this cannot be the cause for the growth in population. Lynxes do not care much for grouses, which do benefit the most from the cold and snowy winters. I would think that one major cause for the growth is the increased populations of deers. To my knowledge, the hunting of lynxes has been always allowed to some extend and there was no change in the law in 2006 or earlier.

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
The hunting season for bear ended a couple of weeks ago and the total catch for this year was 196 bears. This is 17 more than last year but 67 less than the license was for. It seems that most of the licenses and kills were in areas where there are either wild or domesticated reindeers. The number of wild reindeers has plummeted in Kuhmo area for few years now so they want to help them to recover by hunting lynxes, wolfs and beers. News in Finnish

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
A pack of three wolves has been spotted several times near the city of Turku, the fifth largest city in Finland, during November and December. The municipalities near the city have now applied for licenses to shoot them because of the threat they supposely pose against humans. The only killed being for now was a hunting dog in Köyliö. Annually at least one wolf pack is seen near a major Finnish city. What do you thing about the topic and what should be done for these wolves?

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
What do you thing about the topic and what should be done for these wolfs?

I think the topic is fascinating.
There are very few wolves in Finland ( around 150 in 2010 ) they were hunted out in the 20's & the present populations have come across from Russia. Finland is not alone in disliking wolves as Norway & sweden too do everything they can to prevent the implantation of wolves on their territories.....despite vast forests & wild areas in these countries, human sport hunters just cannot accept competion......
In Finland there is also a slight threat to domestic reindeer herds.

When wolves start to roam close to human habitations it is usaully a sign that the habitat is not providing enough food for them ( probably from human activity) & so they come looking for a meal, following their noses...( dustbins, garbage dumps, thrown out restaurant left overs etc.) & may take the occassional dog or cat if the oppptunity arises.
These animals don't usually pose a direct threat to humans though, theoretically, they could be a menace to small children.
I don't advocate killing any wolves, but I would say that wouldn't I :D...there are a number of things that can be done to 'dissuade ' wolves from roaming near towns & villages & recently there has been some successful experiments carried out in Russia using recorded wolf howls & loud speakers. ( the idea being wolves believe the territory is occupied by another pack, so do not approach )...................it's easier though to organise a posse & blow the critters away, problem solved :(

I think it would be great if the Scandanavians could learn to live with wolves, they have so much space & a relatively low human popuation that surely there is room enough for co-habitation.......If the Spanish & Italians can accept wolves in their tiny ' wild places' despite a real threat to their livestock then why can't the scandanavians.?

Sorry fo such a long post. :eek:

Last edited:

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
Thank you for the post!

When wolves start to roam close to human habitations it is usaully a sign that the habitat is not providing enough food for them ( probably from human activity) & so they come looking for a meal, following their noses...( dustbins, garbage dumps, thrown out restaurant left overs etc.) & may take the occassional dog or cat if the oppptunity arises.

I would argue that this is not the main reason as the area the wolves in SW Finland occupy is also home for many thousand deers and mooses. There are not that many lynxes or bears that they should compete for food.

I think the topic is fascinating.
There are very few wolves in Finland ( around 150 in 2010 ) they were hunted out in the 20's & the present populations have come across from Russia.

The current estimations is between 185-205 wolves, cubs included. However it is my understanding that wolves were never exterminated from Finland but radicaly reduced to few individuals.

I don't advocate killing any wolves, but I would say that wouldn't I :D...there are a number of things that can be done to 'dissuade ' wolves from roaming near towns & villages & recently there has been some successful experiments carried out in Russia using recorded wolf howls & loud speakers. ( the idea being wolves believe the territory is occupied by another pack, so do not approach )...................it's easier though to organise a posse & blow the critters away, problem solved :(

I think the Goverment should implement the same subsidies for lost hunting dogs as they are now giving for semi-wild reindeers in Lapland. It is my understanding that this has reduced the number of illegal kills in the region in some extent. Also they could participate to the transportation costs for children living in rural areas that are not let to walk to the school by their parents.

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
Is there any case of children being attacked by wolfes in Finland??

Yes there are. The last killing took place supposely in 1881, but it is uncertain was it even a healthy wolf, a wolf, a dog or even an animal at all as it is said that unwanted children were abandoned and the parents said a wolf took them. A bear killed last time in 1998, when a man jogging near a city got between a mother bear and her cubs. He tried to outrun her but was hit into the neck and this naturally killed him.

BushrangerCZ

Nomad
Dec 23, 2010
in the woods
So wolves did not attack a man for more than century in Finland, supposedly never... Wolfes are very shy animals and are afraid of humans, the DO NOT attack people, never ever, only in stupid Holywood movies. However, they can inflict significant losses on sheep herds. Bear can do it, if it is feeling endangered, protecting cubs, as you´ve written, or if it´s drunk from alcohol in rotting fruit. More common are wild boar injuries, but also only if boar has no other option than to attack to save its life:
(unfortunate hunter from Slovakia)
Sk28letkanec.jpg

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Wolfes are very shy animals and are afraid of humans, the DO NOT attack people, never ever,

Although extremely rare there have been supposed wolf attacks reported in N. America & Canada........in 2007 in Saskatchewan (Canada) there was a man killed, probably by wolves http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/story/2007/11/01/wolf-verdict.html

There have been no cases of wolves attacking humans reported to the Finnish authorities for at least the last 2 decades.

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
A wolf or wolves have killed 79 reindeers in Finnish municipality of Ii in Lapland. The reindeers were found half eaten and drowned from a ditch near a field. Most of the victims were calves accounting for around one quarter of the total amount of reindeer calves in the district. The local herders are now applying for a permission to use helicopters and dogs to hunt out the wolves responsible for the action. Again I ask you oppinion about the topic of wolves vs. reindeers and other livestock.

Martti

Mar 12, 2011
Finland
Found this interesting piece of footage from a Finnish bear dog's point of view! The two dogs are barking the bear which is not killed by the first shot but keeps harassing the dogs while the hunters close in for a kill. I wonder if they kept the traditional feast for the slain bear according to the "recipe" found from my signature! :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jIqhwy-hyg

calgarychef

Forager
May 19, 2011
woking
I love to hear wolves at night. The truth is a wolf will kill any other canine on sight be it dog, coyote, fox etc., that's the reality so folks should keep their dogs away from areas with wolves unless they want fido to be killed. When wolves get too close to man they need to be forcefully evicted, so they know their place. The natives in North America know that it's the wolves that keep the caribou herds strong, and they don't always kill the weak and sick. They kill what they can get and if it's more than they can eat they eat the "soft bits" and leave the rest but will come back when they start to get hungry. This idea that wolves/foxes kill for "fun" isn't correct in my opinion. they kill as much as they can at the time and will come back to eat it, if they get interrupted by man they will abandon the carcasses and this makes it look like they kill indiscriminately.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE