Outdoor leisure show, NEC

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
Too far for me unfortunately ....I'll wait til it comes to the SECC if it does that is. Been to one before and lots of great stuff on display but be warned your bank account could take a serious bout of flu.

Fizzlebang

Tenderfoot
Jul 26, 2009
Surrey
I went to the one at Excel but wasnt impressed at all...last year at the NEC was better. Might go to the NEC if its better

Last edited:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The NEC last year was better?
That makes Excel realy bad as I thought the NEC last year was terrible compared to previous years!
The early shows were about 5 times the size of last years NEC - the canoe section alone was as big as the whole show of last year....

Fizzlebang

Tenderfoot
Jul 26, 2009
Surrey
just shows you how bad Excel was...although the venue is better, the show itself was terrible. I think that naturefest had more to offer than Excel. NEC last year was good in comparison. I guess having free tickets last year helped!

I went on Friday. Was a bit disappointed with the amount of stands there, I thought there'd be more. But at least that stopped me from frittering away a fortune.
Liked the Bushcraft & Survival Skills Magazine area, almost reminded me of the WG.
There were a few bargains to be had, although I wouldn't have minded coming away with the afore-mentioned magazine's Landy!
Ben and Lois Orford were there, and it was nice to meet them.
An enjoyable day out though ..... for me anyway. SWMBO and bambinos were a bit bored.

Luke

cave_dweller

Nomad
Apr 9, 2010
Vale of Glamorgan
I was there on Friday. Since it was half term, the littluns came along. To be fair, they had a great time, swinging from ropes and mucking around in kayaks.

I thought it was 'pretty good', but would really have liked more time to chat with the stallholders (kids like to have us parents standing in queues for most of the day, waiting for "their turn"). For the hardcore bushcrafter I'd say it would be a disappointment - I'm guessing that vendors of 'proper' bushcrafting kit (i.e. non-Gucci) would be hard pushed to afford the rent at the NEC, which is a shame. However, the people I did meet from 'bushcrafty' type stands were a dead nice bunch, so I'll go again next year.

Oh, and my opinion of Alpkit is now even higher. No association, but they are genuinely a dead nice bunch of folk, with time to talk (to me and the kids) and great products. The guys at Keela were pretty cool too!

Shingsowa

Forager
Sep 27, 2007
Ruthin, North Wales
I was there on Friday as well. I really hope that it takes off next eyar, because I can't justify travelling to London for a show (the OS one).

In some ways it was nice to see traders able to spread out a bit onot bigger pitches. The Mountain rescue stand was better, especially as they were able to have their display team next to them instead of being a mile away...

The Alpkit guys are always good fun and helpful, the same with Keela. Also had a nice chat with Monty Halls, he seems quite a genuine bloke. Interesting conversation about the editing techniques that the BBC employed to hide the naval base next door to his bothy!

The Bushy bit took up nearly a quarter of the floor area it seemed. Subscribed to the mag for the first time too.

I hear rumours of a new show in Manchester that will be more climbing/mountaineering specific. Should be interesting for some of us...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE