Outdoor Fabrics

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi,

I'm after some guidance where to go to buy some outdoor fabrics.

I'm after some waterproof ripstop nylon in Green

I tried Pennine outdoor but they only have it in blue.

I fancy a decent tarp but dont fancy coughing up £60.00 for an Aussie one. Or £99.00 for a GOLITE tarp. So I'm going to make my own.

Also I fancy making a copy of the GOLITE Hex tent fly.

Any advice welcome.

Cheers

John

CM Burns

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2003
London
johnboy - i have just bought the Aussie hoochie from www.raymears.com for £60!

in defense of this price i would suggest that it is EXTREMELY well made - probably to a standard far higher than any of us could produce in a DIY effort.

i had been tempted by cheaper/lighter bashas from Kathmandu Trekking but decided that i really wanted the ruggedness of the Hoochie - especially the tie-in points along the centre which will ensure a taught ridgeline in poor weather!

my only complaint about the Hoochie is that all the perimeter seams were sealed (which is good) but the way in which the tarp was folded meant that the seams were pressing directly on eachother and sealant (ie glue) stuck soundly! i had to peel apart the tarp with the loss of sealant on these seams! as i said this is on the edges of the tarp and will not affect waterproofness... a bit irritating though!

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
A even better and cheaper alternative is the US ARMY PONCHO £20 from Strike force brand new - use it like a hoockie (tie the throat of the hood closed) - add a poncho line and you got a sleeping bag for warmer weather - or use it as a emergency waterproof.

3 THINGS FOR THE PRICE OF ONE AND A 1/3 OF THE PRICE OF A AUSSIE HOOTCHIE!! You cant argue with that!

T

theknight

Hi all.

I have been away on business for a while so now that I am back I am trying to catch with all of the news going on here. I am slowly working my way through the site as there is some great stuff going on right throughout the site!!

Anyway top shout Jamie, I have just gone and had a look at both sites, and as far as I can see they are both the same Poncho's but Woodland Organics price is very good as it includes delivery by the looks of it.

Right, I am off to have a look around the rest of the site.....where do I start!

TK

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Speaking of Hootchies check out the stuff for sale pages as theres two on there.

mmcniven

Forager
Nov 1, 2003
Paisley
I have a golite hex tent so if you need any dimensions give us a shout, it is an excellent tent and well worth copying. I have made a slight alteration to mine as in high winds and soft ground it tends to pull the pegs out of the ground so i added further guy points about a couple of feet from the edge and it seems to work alot better.

Michael

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE