Out on Mount Hymettus (Athens)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Had another decent hike today and this time on the less desolate north side of the mountain.

IMAG0289.jpg

It was a bit warm today even with a tee-shirt on, not sure if that is why, but we saw a LOT of tortoise's today

IMAG0290.jpg

IMAG0291.jpg

For some reason the bigger one was really have a go at the smaller one as we approached them, not sure if it's mating season or it was just teaching the small one who was boss.

IMAG0292.jpg

IMAG0294.jpg

IMAG0295.jpg

IMAG0296.jpg

IMAG0297.jpg

IMAG0298.jpg

IMAG0304.jpg

IMAG0299.jpg

IMAG0308.jpg

LoveBeavers

Mar 19, 2012
Athens, Greece
cbr6fs congrats on the photos.
I live in the west side of the mountain and I usually take the trail to the top, that would be from Kareas, a general bearing of 70d East, but I avoid the trails, and "stalk" a bit, mostly because I want to have my dog without a leash, and avoid idiots with bad tempered killer dogs like pitbulls or akitas or I don't know what, who let them roam freely looking for trouble. I have a lovely white mutt with brown spots medium large size. I hope we cross paths. From what I can tell from your pics, you also make it to the ridge-line, close to the antennas.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
cbr6fs congrats on the photos.
I live in the west side of the mountain and I usually take the trail to the top, that would be from Kareas, a general bearing of 70d East, but I avoid the trails, and "stalk" a bit, mostly because I want to have my dog without a leash, and avoid idiots with bad tempered killer dogs like pitbulls or akitas or I don't know what, who let them roam freely looking for trouble. I have a lovely white mutt with brown spots medium large size. I hope we cross paths. From what I can tell from your pics, you also make it to the ridge-line, close to the antennas.

We've only really had 1 instance where a dog went for Bella and to be honest it was 100% Bella's fault as the husky was on a lead, the owner was keeping it close when it started growling and snarling but Bella ignored all my calls and still went up to it with her tail wagging.
The husky picked her up and tossed her off the edge rather than bite, she was unhurt though and lesson learnt.

All the other dogs we've come across have been fine, with 1 Rottweiler in particular that seems to tag along to our walk (it's one of the dogs that live on the mountain down from the Monastery).

I tend to mix up the walks as i get bored with the same route all the time, but this is the more regular route we take.
http://www.bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=382602

We'll have to meet up one day, i'll forewarn you though my Greek isn't really much good sorry.:eek:

Great pics as always, thanks for posting. :)

Thank you

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Very nice photos thanks for posting ,
looks like no drinking water to be had up there on the hills loads of big sky though ,,, love it .
Twodogs

Thanks.

Yep your absolutely right it's a very dry mountain, there are a few wells and the fire brigade keep massive barrels of water at regular intervals for the usual summer forest fires, but there are very few streams and no rivers so it's a case of taking all your water requirements with you.

On a long walk in summer that usually means around 4 litres for me and 1 litre for the dog :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE