Out of the Devil's ****

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Before I get told off, I'm talking about a cavern in Castleton (Derbyshire) .

Swmbo and myself will making a trip to Castleton for a few days.

It'll be our second time there - we like it, it makes a crypt seem busy .

Does anyone have any suggestions for places to go? - we did the blue-john thing when we were there last - hence the title .

Aliwren

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Bedford
Went last weekend and it was packed it is a tourist hotspot, Have you done speedwell yet? its just up the road from Peak Cavern (renamed devils ****!) difference is its flooded so you go in an underground boat with someone on their back pushing along the roof with their feet!

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Peveril Castle is worth a visit. Last time I was there there were folks running around on horseback with swords and cloaks. Turned out they were filming 'The Princess Bride.'

The geology is interesting esp the landslip behind Mam Tor.

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
... Have you done speedwell yet? its just up the road from Peak Cavern (renamed devils ****!) ...

We did the local underground on our previous visit. Swmbo's in her last few months training to be a teacher and because of her scouting back ground, is a big believer in getting pupils out of the classroom (all trips have to have a strong element of learning :lmao: ).

... The geology is interesting esp the landslip behind Mam Tor.

:lmao: When they say 'Road Closed' they're not kidding are they! :yikes:

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Now that I've sifted through the pics ... Thankyou again for the advice.

Peverill Castle above Castleton.

BacklitPeverilcastle.jpg

View of Castleton from Peverill Castle

CastletonfromPeverillcastle.jpg

Sky with bird.

Crowinflight.jpg

The path up and over Mam Tor is paved.

PavedrouteupandoverMamTor.jpg

View from Mam Tor over Winnats Pass.

ViewfromMamTor.jpg

View of Ladybower from the shore line at the base of Priddock Wood - Winhill is in the back ground.

Fromtheshorelineatladybower.jpg

View of fires on Bamford Moor from Ladybower Tor

Firesoverladybower.jpg

Firesoverladybower_2.jpg

North view of Ladybower

Viewoverladybower_4.jpg

View of Winhill.

ViewoverLadybower_1.jpg

Sheep on a tree.

Sheeponatree.jpg

Playing Leap Frog on Lead Hill. These little critters would have been supremely camouflaged against their back ground - excepth for the amount of movement and making more noise than a Cub early on a Sunday morning ...

Leapfrog.jpg

Erosion on the way up to Whinstone Lee Tor - this bit is about 5 foot deep.

Erosion-fungusfound.jpg

Fungus on way up Whinstone Lee Tor.

Miscfungus.jpg

The Riley Graves above Eyam (pronounced Eem). After receiving an 'infected' bolt of cloth from London the village of Eyam fell victim to the plague. Imposing a strict quarantine upon themselves, the villagers attempted to make sure that the plagued stayed isolated. In the following year three quarters of the villagers died and Eyam became 'the village of the damned'.

RileyGravesPlaque.jpg

Graves-Eyam.jpg

These troughs were, in the past, a public water source for the villagers of Eyam.

Morepublicwater-hillside.jpg

Publicwatersource-Eyam.jpg

The sundial on Eyam Church.

Sundialovechurchdoor-Eyam-fulllengt.jpg

Hedgehogs marching over Castleton.

Hedgehogsonthemarch.jpg

Views from Owler Tor.

ViewoverOwlerTor.jpg

Sunset-OwlerTor.jpg

SunsetoverOwlerTor_a.jpg

SunsetoverOwlerTor_b.jpg

At the base of Little Mam Tor

Bluestoneandredheather.jpg

Odin Mine - a disused lead mine.

OdenMineentrance.jpg

Water source by Odin Mine.

Stillwaters.jpg

A back lit tree in Bakewell.

back-littreeinBakewell.jpg

How many horse power?

Thiscarhashorsepower.jpg

Thanks for looking.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
Great Pictures there. You did a lot more walking than I managed there. I never bothered leaving the town! Its a beautiful area though. at the Queue to get in speedwell cavern we found a victorian penny that was in a mole hill. I guess a mole churned it out from the ground where somebody had queued and dropped it a 100 years before.

....I wasnt sifting through the molehill for Blue John or anything ;)

decorum

May 2, 2007
Warwickshire
Thanks.
:lmao: I did more walking than I was expecting too ...
The ankle held up fine :D but my feet are still sore - I hate road walking; which you have to do to get to the various places :eek: . I was pleasantly surprised that four months of enforced sitting hasn't had too much of a dent in my ability to go up and down hills :D .

For general knowledge - and this is something that didn't turn up in the guide books :aargh4: - The plague museum in Eyam closes in the winter and doesn't re-open until March 24 :censored: .

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Glad you had a good time Dec. Nice to get out when couped up for ages, especially round the peak. Great pics.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE