Out for a brew today(a few pics)

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Hi folks,i was out for a wander today and i found my first Pignut(Conopodium majus) of the season,which tasted lovely,this is the earliest i found them,quite surprised so i was.
dayout8.jpg

dayout9.jpg

I also came upon a wee Velvet shank(Flammulina velutipes) bathed in the spring sunshine.
dayout10.jpg

Farther on i decided to stop for a brew.
I gathered tinder as i walked along,sticking it in my pocket to keep it dry,once at the site i raked back the leaves down to bare soil,then i lay down a platform of sticks.I also knocked up a basic pot hanger.
Pot hanger,platform,kindling and main fuel.
dayout.jpg

And tinder.
dayout2.jpg

Billie on to boil.
dayout3.jpg

dayout4.jpg

dayout5.jpg

After the water boiled,i made a brew,sat back against a tree and watched the fire burn down.After the brew i lay back using my rucksack as a pillow and i proceeded to nod off.What woke me up was feeling the odd spit of rain on my face,it was a nice little nap.

Well the fire was out when i woke.
dayout6.jpg

So with some reluctance i got up and put every thing back to nature.
dayout7.jpg

So with the rain trying to get heavier,i headed home content and perfectly chilled.

Anyway i just thought i would share.
Cheers Stuart.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Nice pics Stu.

I didn't find any today or ramsons even nettles.

Keep forgetting my camera.

I was down the Ayr gorge looking at old names in the sandstone where Alexander Peden preached to the covenanters in the 1600's.
The earliest date i can find is 1866 though.

There are cup and ring markings further up river i'll need to get and post on here.

Had some Birch sap but not a patch on a pignut. Yum....

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Only when I knew where they were and went digging. No stems or roots, just wee black lumpy things in the mud. Tasty though :)

I think your photos are the clearest I've ever seen of them just coming up like that. Thanks for the yes :D

cheers,
M

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
What's that in the final picture (top right corner)? It looks like an inflatable li-lo? Could be something entirely different of course. Great photos of a great looking area.

Cheers

Hi sxmolloy,it a piece of corrugated iron,its nailed to the tree.Its been there for years,i don't know whether it may have been kids trying to build a gang hut,long since forgotten.

Cheers Stuart.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE