Out and about in my local wood

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
British Red said:
Great photos pignut - inspired me to start up the "Images from Hampshire" blog again - been tied up lately but feel the need to get out and about now - nice one mate

Red

Hey I aim to please

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
stovie said:
Bolet 2 is the Birch variety B. scaber...nice to eat too. I find the Orange Birch Bolete Leccinum versipelle (I think) commonly in my area. Again, good to eat.
I second that on the Orange Birch Bolete (Leccinum versipelle) stovie. I find it has a pleasant lemony, citrus tang. But eat them fresh as when they dry they go black! :eek: and are slimey rehydrated.

Great photos Pignut :thanks:

I found some ceps but rather sodden with all the rain lately down here in Dorset and the slugs and mice had been having a feast. Still most OK for drying. Also lots of decent Bay Boletus (Boletus badius) which for me are as good a flavour dried as ceps and loads of young Shaggy Inkcap (Coprinus comatus). I only picked the very youngest and not too many as you need to eat then on the same day really or you wake up to a puddle of ink in the basket :) Be careful handling them as the are very fragile. I use a separate plastic container to stop the other fungi from squashing them.

If only we can have a couple of days of dry weather the woods will be worth a visit as the temperatures are still up around 17-18C.

And there were some other beautiful fungi which were just magnificent even if they were not edible.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE