Out and about in my local wood

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pignut

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 9, 2005
Lincolnshire
Been out and about in my area for a couple of days and thought I would share a couple of the things I found. Nothing to exciting just thought I would show them (As I remembered my camera)

The first thing I came across was the ever-present nettle; these things are still growing around here!

Nettle.jpg

It was not long before I stumbled on the next treat of the season (And fast becoming one of my favorits) Beech mast, this stuff was everywhere and by the bucket load!

Beechmast.jpg

Also falling from the trees literally hitting me as I walked through Sweet chestnuts as big as I have ever seen them!

Sweetchest.jpg

I also found some lovely fungi specimens

bolete2.jpg

Bolete 1

Bolete1.jpg

Bolete 2

puffball.jpg

Puff ball

Amde.jpg

Amethyst Deceiver

Jellyear.jpg

Jews Ear

I also found another good green nibble though some of it now looking past its best, on of the sorrels

Sorrel.jpg

And another which I am going back to harvest if I get some time is the rosehip

Rosehip.jpg

Any hoo just thought I would show you!

Cheers

Reactions: Toddy

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Bolet 2 is the Birch variety B. scaber...nice to eat too. I find the Orange Birch Bolete Leccinum versipelle (I think) commonly in my area. Again, good to eat.

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Cheers for that Pignut, always like to see photo's.....Using all my powers of observation, I would say, your area consists of mixed woodland, or area's of pine, and deciduous trees and heathland as well........

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Jon Pickett said:
Cheers for that Pignut, always like to see photo's.....Using all my powers of observation, I would say, your area consists of mixed woodland, or area's of pine, and deciduous trees and heathland as well........

So that would be mixed woodland, then, Jon... ;)

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Jon Pickett said:
Not necessarly, could be different areas, only one photo shows pine needles....
Bit good at this arn't I...... ;) :D

Since when did you get 600 posts ahead of me???? It's not as if its been rainin' much over the last 6 months :D

Alright Sherlock, your powers of observation are acute ;)

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
stovie said:
Since when did you get 600 posts ahead of me???? It's not as if its been rainin' much over the last 6 months :D

Alright Sherlock, your powers of observation are acute ;)
lol, yeah been talking a lot lately....... :D
Oops, just noticed pine needles in another shot, damn, I must be losing it, where's my glasses......

stovie

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 12, 2005
Balcombes Copse
Jon Pickett said:
Oh stop it.....When are we going for that pint btw, been mothing a lot recently, had some gooduns too.........

Sorry :D

We'll have to make it soon. I'll pm you.

Great photos btw Pignut :)

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Great photos pignut - inspired me to start up the "Images from Hampshire" blog again - been tied up lately but feel the need to get out and about now - nice one mate

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE