Otter

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 21, 2008
Dartmoor
I am lucky, or unlucky, enough to fish on a river where otters are resident. I normal sight them (at night) quite close up and hear their whistling calls to each other. I have tried to look for their evidnence to show others in daylight, but I am a fairly useless tracker.

Has anyone got pictures of otter tracks, habitat, spraint etc that they would care to share?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Loads, but here are a few...

29Jan201118.jpg

24Jan20115.jpg

17Jan201127.jpg

17Jan201127.jpg

26-27-28Jun2010171.jpg

26-27-28Jun2010172.jpg

11Feb201116.jpg

11Feb201115.jpg

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
The spraint is usually pretty unmistakable. Dry, fibrous, with plenty of chewed up fish bones.

If you find tracks in snow, look for evidence of tobogganing as they slide down hill on their bellies, steering with their body and tail, and occasionally paddling along with their feet on the slow parts. I once followed such a track 1500 feet up a hillside on Knoydart - I only turned back because my wee sister was getting cold!

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Tracks usually have five toes and are spread, unlike most other large mammals we have whose toes are close together. Check the bank for prints where silt has collected on bends. The only other large mammal who will go on these is the mink. But their prints are much smaller and delicate.

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
I had mixed emotions the other day when seeing a dead otter beside the main road not far from home. Even though it had been killed on the road, I still was pleased to see it.

The local environment showed a remarkable recovery after the de-industrialisation of the 1980's and the closure of the Mining Industry and dependent services, etc, although it's hard to see the benefits when surrounded by devastated communities and shattered lives. Without a doubt though, within a few years there were runs of salmon and sea trout unheard of within living memory; the streaks of kingfishers and sign of otter on the rivers; osprey giving surprise appearances over local lochs; buzzards and other raptors everywhere you looked and fox, roe and badger, et al, pioneering formerly industrial waste-lands. A sight to behold indeed, and one that must have been witnessed from Fife to Kent.

Unfortunately, and within 15 years of the pit closures, the trend of surface coal extraction has expanded at a frightening rate and is far more destructive than deep-coal mining and steel production ever were. Past experience is a breath of hope for the future, but I never a thought I'd see the day that even a dead otter was a good sign!

Ronnie,
I too followed an otter in Knoydart. I found its tracks after it had checked out my tent early one morning and I followed it up the north-western track to Ladhar Bheinn. I lost him at about 2,500 feet, but when I looked back down the track I discovered he'd given me the slip and was 100 yards away lolling back the way he'd come.
I'd swear he had a smirk on his face when he turned to make sure I knew I'd been outsmarted!

Last edited:

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
Pango - the track that I followed had footprints running uphill beside it. He'd obviously trekked all the way up with the sole intention of sliding back down!

Rumi

Forager
More Otter track pictures for you. I have to say I feel very privileged to have an Otter on my doorstep and regular sightings too.

Otter4.JPG

This print was a few hours old and one of the clearest I have found to date

The Tracks running immediately to the side of the canal along the bank.

Otter1.JPG

A couple of examples of the tobogganing. Its hard to see from the photo, but the pairs of prints are quite far apart indicating that the otter is actually tobogganing rather than cantering.

Otter3.JPG

Straight slide into the canal which is 7' wide at this point.

This is where it came out of the water
Otter2.JPG

The Otter(s) I think we may have another litter! tend to enter and leave the water at different points, have trails that they habitually use but in different directions and range far and wide crossing fields to get to lakes and other watercourses.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE