OT: Offshore Work – Looking for Help

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JFW

Settler
Mar 11, 2004
Clackmannanshire
I seem to recall that there are a few members who are employed in the offshore oil industry and am looking for some advice.
Just a little background info to put you in the picture.
My mate is keen to work offshore and has done the medical and survival training course and has joined a couple of agencies to try and get some work, but every position he has gone for are looking for some previous experience of which he has none.
He has worked in the petro chemical industry previously on pipe installations and is currently working for a quarry, maintaining all the plumbing systems – hydraulics, water jets and pumping systems.
He is willing to try anything just to get a foot in the door so what I’m looking for is some advice on how to achieve this or better still a few contacts that he could apply directly to.

If any of you can help it would be greatly appreciated, if you want to take this to PM that would be fine.
MODS if this not an appropriate post please delete as necessary.

Cheers

JFW

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I'm bumping this only because it came up in a search for "offshore".

With fingers ragged from making polprop monkey's fists, I'm asking what other BC distractions are there to pass transit and WOW time offshore? I don't have any whalebone for scrimshaw.

(they frown on lighting fires, it turns out)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Strip out old wire and weave copper bracelets :)

Seriously, what kind of materials can you find easily, just lying about.
Presumably there's cardboard from kitchen packaging........so slice it up and practice birch bark basketry.......everything from baskets to making shoes.

Sorry, probably not much help, Chance :eek:

atb,
Toddy

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Yup, there,s definitely a limit on turning out cufflinks, keyfobs and bellropes, and the odd cosh.
I used to either take away some leather for projects, or misappropriate canvas or even the odd lump of wood that looked suitable for carving. To this day, I still practice wire working skills, God knows why, must have over a couple of hundred eyes hanging up in the garage.
As a young fellah, when "gilets" were not commonly seen in the uk, 'made myself a great working vest (from the rag bale contents), with all kinds of pockets, loops and pouches, it was the envy of many.
Happy days, though the wowwing was a bummer.

Ceeg

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Back on the beach with a new handle for the rope swing. No baskets or gilets, but an improved confidence in splicing.

Trivia moment: instead of a rock or old nut for a surface monkey's fist, subsea ones are often made with a buoyant core. They serve as usefully flexible handles for WROVs (submarine robots).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE