Osprey Tempest 30 Review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
First Impressions:

Today I took delivery of a new backpack, the Osprey Tempest 30. This is the female version of the Osprey Talon 33.

First impressions, it's a nice pack. Really well thought out and made from a nice material. It took me a few minutes to work out the toggle thing on the draw cord for the top of the pack. It doesn't have the same design as toggles on packs, jackets and the like that I am used to. But I think I'm getting the hang of it.

The use of lighter (as in the lighter colour, not lighter weight) fabric on some of the panels makes it really easy to see inside the pack, a feature I am already liking.

The stow on the go system for my walking poles is rather useful, am going to have to retro fit that to all my other packs now, really liking it.

The main areas that I think could be better are:

• No lashing point on the bottom or top of the pack - I would like there to be 4 loops on the bottom that I could lace some shock cord through to attach a sleep matt or similar, it would add a negligible amount to the weight of the pack, but would greatly increase the utility.
  • No rain cover - No rain cover is included with the pack by default. It's the biggest feature I am missing from my old Deuter.
  • Strap D Rings - I would like a pair of D rings on the straps so that I can attach things to them, again, would greatly increase the utility of the sack.

These are just my first thoughts, The real test comes when the pack is loaded. How comfortable it is to carry that weight a distance.

Full review:

Give me a few days to take it for a few walks. Then I'll report back further.

Julia

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Tony,

The pack is my hand bag, I take it everywhere with me. I did a [thread=125755]Full review[/thread], after a month or 2's use. I have also posted a [thread=125924]thread[/thread] of the modifications that I needed to do to for it to fit round my chest endowment, as well as a couple of other mods I did. But if the user is not large in the chest area, she won't have the same issues.

Hope this helps.

Julia

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE