Osage bow graduation and a few days in the woods.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Every bow I make has to survive a few days in the woods before it can be called a bow. Especially if the bow is for a customer.
This time in the cold and wet and especially the humidity will quickly show up any problems.

Its also a great excuse to spend some time playing in the woods. I had a night by self and then a few friends came up for the second night.

Home from home.

IMAG4154_zps4be596cc.jpg

Remote control for the TV

IMAG4143_zps65ed47b8.jpg

Tomorrow mornings kindling and birch bark for the fire. Nothing worse than having to look for it in the a.m. cold. Keeping it under the tarp also helps it dry out over night.

IMAG4136_zpsa7ba7b0e.jpg

Lovely sunrise at this time of the year and at a respectable hour too!

IMAG4160_zps815c657e.jpg

IMAG4159_zps2f598c46.jpg

The next day a friend brought me a present. Lovely napping

IMAG4214_zpsaabf0db3.jpg

Time for a shoot

IMAG4224_zps94f97c32.jpg

IMAG0128_zps2a970e38.jpg

Whilst we were there my good friend Dave popped up to burn his sculpture. A big old dug fir came down in the winds pulling up a good root stock. The arborists out there will know how much pressure is still in the root system and when the trunk is cut the root system can snap back up again.
So dave placed a wooden support structure under the root base to take the pressure of the trunk. He then cut the trunk and carved a mushroom into it. There was also an wattle and dorb egg filled with kindling placed under the root structure. The Idea being that when the support structure was burnt the mushroom/phallus shaped object would point back at the sky. It thought it worked wonderfully.

The whole project was to re-claim ritual without any need for a religious content. Just make of it what you will even if its just a giggle - it can mean anything to anyone. Will find the link to his blog.

Structure support burning.

IMAG4171_zps7b1d399f.jpg

The filming

IMAG4175_zps621abfe9.jpg

The "mushroom" returning to its original position after the support burns away.

IMAG4209_zps3d634c33.jpg

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Ha ha brilliant, I wish I could have made it over for the mushroom. I was reading it on Daves blog. Looks brilliant. That bow is beautiful mate.

Shame you couldnt make it bud. Brave man for trying to get it by the missus on her birthday lol.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE