Origin Bushcraft Parang

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jiffi

Nomad
Jun 24, 2010
Castle Douglas, Scotland
My new toy courtesy of KEV at Origin Bushcraft!
5mm stock full convex grind and textured ironwood scales. Went through a dead 6" stump quicker than my sfa which I couldn't believe! Review to follow.
798779dddf459f9f1757bf1c691e347a.jpg
617373d120b5c4ee7a614dae069c7262.jpg
93697d71721952b9b6e608377af8e7aa.jpg

jiffi

Nomad
Jun 24, 2010
Castle Douglas, Scotland
It's 01 5mm stock 13 1/4" long in the blade and ironwood scales!
I have a Malaysian also but this is full rand and hammers everything else I have used.
I tried it on a hard 6" dead stump and I recon it cut better than my sfa!!!!

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
I am very curious as to how that handle works for you. The combination of uniform thickness and knobby is quite a departure from the conventional and traditional ideas about comfortable chopping tools.

I am also interested in how the sheath is to be hung. Clearly meant for wearing on the left side, edge up, how is it mounted to the belt?

Cheers, and thanks for posting :)

jiffi

Nomad
Jun 24, 2010
Castle Douglas, Scotland
It was designed predominantly as a pack carry and the sheath was made to my specs and I don't think he is offering that sheath as an option as it was chosen by me as I like to draw large knives like Japanese swords. So the normal sheath will be a straight pull and also all sheaths will be strip able for cleaning and moisture control. The handle is very grippy and was designed with damp/wet hands in mind but is very comfortable in my meat shovels.

Last edited:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Thanks for the reply. I am not looking to buy one. I am interested in how the various problems and challenges inherrent in these knives (and modernised versions in particular) have been tackled/solved.

So for your particular sheath, do you have any means of belt carry, or is it completely clean and suitable only for pack carry? Getting a good carry seems to be hard with most of the Kydex and leather sheaths I have seen and I was wondering how this design was goign to tackly this. Dangling, tight against the body, angled, vertical? You may not have discussed all that, but I thought that you might have done.

The reason I wasasking about the knobby scales is that I have handled knives, particularly big ones, which have felt great in the hand when handled, but have been less comfy when I have started swinging them. More than that, I have used a few that felt pretty good for the first five or ten minutes of use, but after half an hour of brush clearing there were sore spots showing up that weren't at all obvious or expected. That was with smooth hanldes.

Sorry for jumping the gun a bit. I re-read your post and see that you plan to do a review, I shall really look forward to hearing how this design works for some longer term clearing jobs :)

Cheers

Last edited:

jiffi

Nomad
Jun 24, 2010
Castle Douglas, Scotland
For a short answer the handle really suits my hand and I have already purposely used it for best best part of an hour (simulated) cutting thought light stuff up to about 2 1/2" and it was still really comfy but as I stress that's my hand and I can't speak for everyone I can't say that the textures handle had any "hot" spots and I really enjoy using it but then really how often do we a parang in the UK for a huge length of time? As regards the sheath I really intended mine for pack carry but also to draw like a Japanese sword as its my preference however I'm not sure if this will be an option I just pestered him so I got it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE